stands with soft boxes on etc etc I end up finding that about 10'

would probably just be on the limit.

I'm afraid my desire to save money and the better looking spaces

available with only 10' height are clouding my mind and that I will

hate myself for going for the "almost" solution no more than a year

down the line. I have to commit myself for 3 years or more for the

renting. I'd love to hear some neutral suggestions from people with

higher/lower ceilings.

Greetings Svein: In my view, the higher the ceiling the better. The drawback is depending on the roofing support system, with a very high ceiling, say in an industrial complex, you may have vertical posts in the middle of your floor space that may get in your way. Our ceilings in an old brick ceramic factory building, are about 18 feet to the first obstructing cross beam. For heating and cooling, I installed some paddle fans with reversible motors on a remote control system. The fans work well to move warm air down in the winter and up into the loft space in the summer where it's removed by attic fans.

As for equipment, I'd have to ask you what you're putting in your soft boxes etc., now. We get more horsepower out of our pack systems which are Speedotron brown and black line packs, but the cables can be a problem at times. We also use several Bowens monolights which are great for their light quality, light output and portability. Studio spaces seem to lend themselves to view cameras quite a lot, although our shop uses 35, MF, and 4x5 as well. It's a matter of personal preference, I think, along with what the needs of your studio are. Take it light. Mark

Humm.. You are probably right.. I have simulated different situations in my head now a thousand times, and I always see myself getting away with 10' ceiling.. but only just. :(

Reality is probably that I would need an additional 2' to be on the safe side and not be limited. Thanks for helping out!

BTW I use a couple of Pro7 packs and mostly MF equipment.

http://www.Sundsteigen.com

You mentioned the sites you visited "are very "industrial" in their standard" have you thought of maybe raising the false ceilings by a couple of feet? Some of the sites I have visited had 3-5 feet or more space between the false ceiling and the actual building ceilig. If this the case you may have your ceiling height solved by raising the false ceiling or removing them complete. I can honestly tell you working with either a 9' or 10' ceiling is so-so. A 11' ceiling is ok. But a 12' ceiling you start to see a real difference and one addition advantage is that you don't feel boxed in.

Would be interested in your decision.

Good Luck.