Stuck hood in Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 lens

iritka

<p>I purchased Canon lens 400mm f/5.6 couple of months ago. From start the hood was difficult to slide. After few times it got stuck.<br>

The local Canon support shop says this is not included in Canon’s lens warranty! Is that right?<br>

They say the lens need to disassembled (!) to fix it: is it safe procedure to do?<br>

Thx, Irit</p>

<p>When you say "Local Canon Support Shop"-are you referring to an actual Canon service center, a repair facility authorized by Canon to do their warranty work, or a general repair facility that does repair work? I find it hard to believe that Canon wouldn't warranty this IF the lens was purchased NEW. If it's used, or refurbished-that's another story altogether. I suggest contacting an actual Canon service center, you can look them up on Canon USA.com to find one nearest you. Also, if it does require the lens to be disassembled, experienced technicians are the only way to go for most people, including myself. </p>

<p>I've no experience with the sliding hoods, but I do know that many of the earlier bayonet hoods readily jam. However, that problem is easily solved by lubricating the hood bayonet lightly with dry (note: DRY) PTFE lubricant as available from any good bicycle shop. Whilst it is very important not to risk getting any sort of lubricant into the interior of the lens, you might be able to introduce some into the point where the hood mounts on the lens and free it up. However, if this is a newly purchased NEW lens, I don't see why it would not be a warranty issue, although each country does have different legislation.</p>

<p>Remove the rubber ring at the end of the hood. This will expose a ring just inside the lip of the hood with two notches. Insert something sharp such as a small screwdriver into one of the notches and unscrew the ring. You can make a special tool to do this out of a kitchen knife so that it fits both notches. Once the ring is removed the hood slides back over the lens after you have removed the tripod ring. There is a small rubber ring that fits to the end of the lens to which the hood screws up against when it is fully extended. It is 3mm wide and 2mm deep and has the same diameter as the end of the lens. It is called a Hood Stopper in Canon speak with a part number of CA2-0395-000. When you over tighten the hood at its fully extended position the treads sometimes bite into the rubber ring and as you retract the hood it drags the rubber ring back and jams the hood. Cost in the UK is £15 including Vat (20%) and P&P. YMMV.</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>Just want to re-emphasize that these comments by Perky Polwarth are right on the mark for anyone(from a search on the Internet there are a lot of us) that has struggled with this hood problem while using the Canon 400mm F5.6. Canon in Toronto wants $300 to fix it but if you follow Perky's instructions carefully it will save you a lot of money. I particularly like his comment as to how the problem begins in the first place by over tightening the hood while in the fully extended position. Thanks so much Perky, it took me a long time to find the information I needed. </p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4990254">Perky Polwarth</a>, Jul 25, 2011; 01:11 p.m.</p>

<p>Remove the rubber ring at the end of the hood. This will expose a ring just inside the lip of the hood with two notches. Insert something sharp such as a small screwdriver into one of the notches and unscrew the ring. You can make a special tool to do this out of a kitchen knife so that it fits both notches. Once the ring is removed the hood slides back over the lens after you have removed the tripod ring. There is a small rubber ring that fits to the end of the lens to which the hood screws up against when it is fully extended. It is 3mm wide and 2mm deep and has the same diameter as the end of the lens. It is called a Hood Stopper in Canon speak with a part number of CA2-0395-000. When you over tighten the hood at its fully extended position the treads sometimes bite into the rubber ring and as you retract the hood it drags the rubber ring back and jams the hood. Cost in the UK is £15 including Vat (20%) and P&P. YMMV.</p>