Streetphotography: Review thread

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by tonmestrom, Jan 7, 2010.

1. picking up on a very good idea Clive launched last year and which was quite succesfull in the beginning I'll start another review thread or a POP thread as Clive called them.
    The "rules" are simple. Apart from the OP, each poster first critiques the image immediately above (and only that image ) before posting his/her own picture (preferred is one that hasn't previously appeared in this forum). One post per person per thread. The point is to get an unbiased opinion. Therefore explanation of your own photo is not required . Please control the urge. As with W/NW, a theme should encourage posting.
    Nice would be if the start of these threads (on Thursday?) would rotate
    00VRKL-207551584.jpg

2. Good initiative Ton. So let me start by commenting on your photo above. I struggle to kep my attention to a scene that does not really seem to have a point to communicate apart from the engine the lady is pushing, the name "Dirk" and the fact that se is about to tumble over her shoe ribon. The perspective of the rails is always worth having a go on, but here it is surely not the main subject matter of the photo. In more technical terms, the B/W is Ok but not spectacular and the darkness of her close could benefit from some more details. To conclude: This photo is surely not one of your best Ton, but maybe a good start of the thread
    00VRVi-207651584.jpg

3. I really hate critiquing other peoples photos but I want to get in on this so here goes. If this were mine, I would crop to just below the guy's knee, turning it into a horizontal, eliminating the lower half completely. I don't think the lower half adds anything and I would want to emphasize the jumper more. Here's mine, have at it!
    00VRao-207705884.jpg

4. the story being told here isnt really all that interesting. there's nothing that i find remotely compelling in this scene. perhaps a different angle would have held interest, but i have to wonder why this shot was even taken.if this is a beach or waterfront scene, surely there has to be more capitvating stuff going on somewhere, right?
    00VRhu-207771584.jpg

5. Maybe you should have called that the Streetphotography : Slash-review thread Ton, lol.
    ( sorry couldn't help myself )

6. I'll respond to Eric's shot...
    The subject in the middle is interesting, and the structure around it makes for a convenient frame. However, the the face is too dark - the eye is drawn up to it by the shapes below, but doesn't get to see that final part. That said, I can see from the building on the left and the blown sky that the contrast range in the scene might have been rather high.
    I'm a sucker for strong wideangles, but I'm not sure it works here. One of the things that makes street photography interesting for me is the stuff that can sometimes be seen going on in the background. In this shot, the image surrounding the main subject doesn't have much going on, other than the strong perspective of the buildings on either side. I might have been tempted to use a slightly longer focal length, or maybe place the main subject off-centre and get some of the people more into the shot.
    00VRt1-207849584.jpg

7. OK, what the Hell, I'll give this a go. Nomads shot above I would like better if more information had been included. Normally I like close up shots but here there is just enough info to arouse curiosity, but not enough to offer any closure. Obviously the man is the subject but why was his picture taken? He is outdoors, it appears to be winter based on his attire and the barren trees in the background. But where is he? What is he doing and what is his relationship to his surroundings and the people in the background? The shape in the lower right appears to be a coffin but is it really? The dark attire of the man and those in the background would suggest a funeral, but is it?
    We need more information in the form of more details included in the photograph. Without such information the question of "is it or is it not" remains. Perhaps Nomad. cropped this image and a full frame one could be provided so these questions can be answered? If this is a funeral perhaps providing more info in such a seemingly stark and cold environment could have been a comment on the mysteries and the "cold harsh reality" of death. Here all I see is a man tightly framed and dressed like a possible actor in a B movie spy caper. I see three maybe four people total in this photograph but the humanity is missing.
    00VS0b-207917584.jpg

8. Well, it looks like a parade is in store. At first, the bulge in the man's face looks comical, but then the bib and the discoloration on his face makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on there, possibly a disability of some sort. The tension between the similarities & differences in their postures (legs, arms, expressions, glasses, flags) keeps my interest going. The blown sky forms a void that sucks my attention away from the people, and the darkness of the foliage imparts a slight heaviness to the scene, bringing me back to the bulge.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

9. @nomad...sometimes in street shooting, you have to take what's there. thanks for the critique, but we're talking about a quick grab shot taken during a walk through a crowded district in Mexico City of a skeletal face encased in a shroud under a canopy in otherwise bright daylight. on my monitor, i can clearly see santa muerte's skull, but short of placing reflectors and monolights around her altar (which would not be organic street photography, but a set-up shot, besides requiring permission from her disciples and/or greater facility with the Spanish language on my part) i don't think it would have been possible to light her up more to your liking. fyi, i did use fill flash, and if you look at the pic not straight on, but from a slightly elevated perspective, her facial features are clearly evident, possibly due to catching reflections from the gold trim above her shroud. perhaps you should have taken more than a second or two to study the photo from different angles before issuing your verdict. anyway, that's my critique of your critique.

10. ps in case you're interested, i also took a closer shot without the crowd (sorry for bending "the rules," ton -- but we all know there are no rules in street photography)
    00VSVw-208211684.jpg

11. "sometimes in street shooting, you have to take what's there"
    And dismiss what wasn't.

12. I like the fireman photo. Dressed for official business, but carrying a squirt gun. And if I had to guess, striding down to talk to those people. The broad smile seems to let us in on the joke, but the photo doesn't give it away.
    Technically, I might like to see the photo taken a few feet closer and on a wider lens, but you takes'em where you finds'em.
    [​IMG]

13. no worries Eric this is talking "business" and that's what it is about.
    However, although I don't think it's what you mean here this:
    "sometimes in street shooting, you have to take what's there"
    is a borderline argument in the sense that it's too often used as an excuse instead of editing more rigourously. Not the easiest part of photography, let alone in street.

14. Phylo, English does have some advantages in twisting words doesn't it? ;-)

15. Eric, I see this thread as a bit of fun while still being something that we could each learn a little from. Also, hindsight is 20/20, and it's usually easier to see where changes could be made after the photo has been taken. Like I said, I could see that the contrast range you were dealing with was wide. If the detail is there if one looks at the monitor off-axis, then perhaps it could be brought out in an image editor? I appreciate that it was a grab shot - all of my street shots so far have been (and the hit rate per roll is pretty bad).
    Marc, thanks very much for the critique. Your "air of mystery" interpretation matches my own, and the B-movie spy caper observation is spot on (I think it's very 'cold war'). Point taken about the lack of context, or the somewhat ambiguous nature of what little context there is. The shot was taken in Edinburgh a couple of weeks before christmas '09. There was a small open air market in this area, and he was looking at a ferris wheel that was out of shot to the right. He's standing at the top of a flight of stairs, and the 'coffin' is the top of a stone balustrade leading away from the stairs. There were three other people in the background, one of whom got cropped away. I had walked past him and down the stairs to see what was there, didn't see anything interesting, and headed back up. The picture was taken from the hip (camera in front of my belly) from about 2 metres or so. I was looking in the same direction as he was, with the camera pointing to my left. The left and right sides were cropped a bit (mainly to straighten the shot), and I chopped off the bottom of the frame to lose some distracting details in the balustrade leading down by the side of the staircase, and because the shadows there were rather dense. I still had to lift the shadows a bit to get some detail in his coat. A small version of the original shot is below for comparison.

16. Trying the attachment again...
    00VSaF-208249584.jpg

17. Hmm, looking at it again, I think the 'coffin' is actually the top of a couple of litter bins...

18. Dropped by after a long absence and couldn't help but laugh at seeing how yet another of these threads has come off the rails. A belated Happy New Year to Ton and everyone else.
    I like the colours of Damon's photo, and the guy's expression is classic. Very D'Amato.
    [​IMG]
    Tokyo

19. Did it "come off the rails" as Clive writes ?- I don't think so. It started by chance with a few fairly critical remarks that might have frightened some away, but later found a more balanced mood. I think the initiative of Ton is very good but should invite for constructive comments that can be either critical and positive.I admit that it is vary much easier always to be positive but not always very useful for learning.
    Maybe Ton should consider introducing a minor change to the "rules of the game" permitting or even asking for feedback and reactions to comments.​

20. WRT Marc's image, I would have cropped and lightened the shadows a bit in post, if you couldn't do it in camera.
    Tom M
    00VScw-208279784.jpg

21. Here's mine. D200 + Sigma 30mm/f1.4 nearly wide open. Converted to B&W using Power Retouche Pro's "BW Studio" inside of PS.
    It's a hotel hallway, not a street, so I hope this qualifies.
    Tom M
    00VSd4-208283684.jpg

22. That lady crossing the street picture is really dramatic. Definitely it tells a story.
    blue digital camera

23. Thanks for the update Nomad. I also failed to include my confusing regarding the title "The Watcher". I didn't know what he was watching and because of his expressionless face I didn't know how he felt or what he thought about what he was watching. I do like the color version better. Do you have any images of him and the ferris wheel in the same shot? I'm thinking that a shot taken more from his side with his dark clothes and expressionless face would contrast nicely with the ferris wheel especially if it was garishly painted and there were a few children running around it. Just my $.02
    Thanks for your post production work Ton. I see your horizontal composition works better then my vertical. On my monitor though the highlights look a bit too bright. This was at a veterans day parade a few months ago. It was an overcast day which for some reason I see to have trouble getting good exposures in. I should someday push a roll a stop and over develop to see what I get.

24. Thanks for the update Nomad. I also failed to include my confusing regarding the title "The Watcher". I didn't know what he was watching and because of his expressionless face I didn't know how he felt or what he thought about what he was watching. I do like the color version better. Do you have any images of him and the ferris wheel in the same shot? I'm thinking that a shot taken more from his side with his dark clothes and expressionless face would contrast nicely with the ferris wheel especially if it was garishly painted and there were a few children running around it. Just my $.02
    Thanks for your post production work Ton. I see your horizontal composition works better then my vertical. On my monitor though the highlights look a bit too bright. This was at a veterans day parade a few months ago. It was an overcast day which for some reason I see to have trouble getting good exposures in. I should someday push a roll a stop and over develop to see what I get.

25. Oops how did that happen? Sorry for the double post folks!

26. Clive, thanks and nice to have you back here. You're right, it seems hard to not derail. It's come to the point that photos are easy to recognise as one of yours btw ;-)
    Anders, I'm not too puritanical about anything as you might have noticed but the nice thing of these POP or review threads is that they actually do work if people comply. I like discussing photos but if we start to react to comments chances are that pretty soon all discussion will revolve around one photo and other photos are overlooked or neglected. Reading other peoples comments is/can be informative which is one of the obvious goals of these threads. Btw, the initiative was Clive's. I merely picked up on it.
    Tom, thanks for entering here but I do hope you realize you've not said a single word about the actual content of Marc's photo. All you've done is show us what you prefer. A slight oversight you might still correct.
    Given the set-up the next photo to comment upon is Clive's before that of Tom. Who?

27. I'm responding to Tom M.'s hallway image. Composition is strong and exposure values are nicely rendered.
    The two most striking aspects of the image are the size differential between the two women and the positions of their respective arms. I suspect that the left arm of the woman in front is resting on the wall simply for support but it could be construed to be protecting the woman behind her. If the latter interpretation is correct, it conflicts with the restful crossed arms of the woman in the background.
    The woman in front appears to be looking at someone or something to her right while the woman in the back appears to be looking at the photographer. These glances on the one hand suggest, "Don't you dare" and on the other hand, "Please help me."
    At first I thought these two women were maids but on closer examination I think they are not because they are not wearing uniforms.

28. I was going to comment on the image above but Robert already has. I'll just go straight ahead to posting an image then. It's a shot I took last December.

29. sorry but I had a bit of trouble uploading the photo. Here it is.
    00VSjS-208357784.JPG

30. Such a simple rule to follow but it seems there are always those who just don't get it! How complicated is this? Just review the image directly above and then post your own. It's unbelievable how such a simple idea can get so twisted on here. Sheesh!
    So, to review Richard Francisco's shot:
    This shot doesn't really do anything to my heart rate. With the risk of offending you I see it as more of a holiday snap. Perhaps if you'd got closer to the dude leaning over the fence looking at the crocs it would be a little more interesting. The shot shows us what it's like at the croc museum but does little else. In my opinion you needed to make a little more use of the people in the area.
    00VSno-208399584.jpg

31. Jamie,
    I'm only posting because I want to comment on this!
    I really like this shot. The off-axis shooting indicates dynamism, the blurring of the girl gives it an air of mystery and the alignment with the shop name makes the joke. Even the man poking out at the front doesn't distress me - it just confirms that this was a grab shot.
    Uh, (gulp), here's mine:
    00VSpg-208425684.jpg

32. “Uh, (gulp), here's mine:”
    Well shiver your timbers you unlucky dude you have got me ;))
    Methinks a good critique should be a mixture of positive and negatives. Every street photo has something working for it as it depicts life; however, it is as rare as rare that it could have not been done better. But also some good thoughts to remember is that most street shots are not set up, so the dish is often served cold ,without recourse to a choosing…the best happen in a fleeting moment and then leave the stage for ever.
    So, the above “gulp” shot is good in the sense it has captured a reflection of the subjects mood and the love of her small dog. The exposure is badly out loosing detail and giving a washed out noisy effect. If the opportunity had presented itself perhaps a difference angle with the dogs face being more in the frame.
    Nice effort overall where the subjects mood has been captured which is the focus of the photograph.
    00VSs9-208443684.jpg

33. Allen,
    I like how the purple lighting stands out. I would like to have seen more exposure of the plants in the foreground. The scene seems to be cluttered with a lot of things but my eye is drawn to the older gentleman and has me wondering what he is watching. Overall the photo is bland and doesn't really interest me. Sorry...just my opinion.
    00VSue-208465584.jpg

34. Nothing to be sorry about for me or you offering your honest opinion...what would be the point posting otherwise?

35. Double post, sorry

36. I don't post much. Let's see if I can follow the simple rule. With the street muscian, a wonderful subject, but too small in the photograph. Also don't like seeing the butt end of the pickup truck so prominent. Maybe moving to a different position would have given more emphasis to the subject, but looks like you may have been using a long lens.

37. Jack's photo:

If those hands are a street grab shot then it's fairly good. Catching the two different skin tones and exposing them well and getting it sharp deserves praise. It's a bit of a cliched style but it's still good. Not much to criticise here. Well done.
    00VSwR-208487584.jpg

38. Try this again. Sorry, I'm such an idiot at this.

39. Try this again. Sorry, I'm such an idiot at this.​
    It's OK Jack. I got your shot and I have already reviewed it, see above.

40. I love how you have the larger hand wrapped around the smaller hand. It does grab the emotion. Good job.

41. I love how you have the larger hand wrapped around the smaller hand. It does grab the emotion. Good job.
    00VSzt-208531584.jpg

42. Jose: There may be too much table or surface in the foreground, other than that the composition and make up appear balanced and quite well. Good shot Jose.
    [​IMG]

43. I'm commenting on Jose's local bar image, which was the last in the queue when I posted this.
    I don't know where Jose is located, but it looks like a working class bar in the midwestern states. The star suggests Texas, but I'm guessing farther north from the clothing. The people are dressed informally, but they don't look like workmen. I think this is a family going out for the evening.
    I like the many elements that add softness to the image: the lens blur on the table and the bartender, the overexposed light and television, the customers' heads just slightly out of focus. It makes the room feel comfortable. I feel as though I'm there sipping on a beer myself. It's also a good B&W conversion for a digital image.
    I would enjoy a series of images on the same theme.
    00VT0W-208541584.jpg

44. mbh

mbh

Interesting bit of life, the skeletons on the bike. Rightly or wrongly, I'd be tempted to crop the brown FD box on the left; it's strong color pulls my attention away from the central focus, the bikes. If the box were cropped, it would move the skeleton clad bike that much stronger into the foreground and the eye would then be drawn down the street.
    Breaking the rules for a moment, because there are two uncommented on photographs above, I quite enjoyed the tight crop of the man smoking. I have no real critique of it other than I enjoyed the abundance of detail in that shot from the smoke rising, the hands, the stains, which all provided clues to what I was seeing.
    00VT3n-208585784.jpg

45. Mark H: I quite like this shot. I like the bold brick wall and the way it's darker at the top. It's nice and sharp. Good how the girl is looking at you but the dude is looking at something else entirely. I don't see the shot as an award winner as I feel there's only about 70% of a good street shot here. Don't ask me how I would improve it because I don't know. It certainly benefits from the black and white treatment though.
    00VT5j-208609584.jpg

46. The image above seems soft on my screen.

47. This is in respone to Alin's photo.
    I don't find that there is any particular area of interest - both in terms of a focal point and the subject matter. The architecture in the back distracts the viewer from what I believe you intended to be the focal point - the women chatting. Also, the foreground is a bit dark, although that could easily be my monitor or other variables. I just don't find the photo particularly interesting - it comes off more as a snapshot of a building with people in the foreground.
    00VT7e-208629584.jpg

48. Ash,
    This guy looks like he is making a dash for the door after seeing you with a camera. In his younger days, he might have shown you some of his Kung Fu moves, but right now, he needs to get back to boiling noodles for the locals. Looking at him, he seems very well put together...Nice glasses, groomed hair, etc. However, the touristy sweater, dirty slacks, and frail hands make it seem as though these are handouts and he is just barely getting by.
    Technically, Pretty nice exposure for such bright sun light. The angled lighting gives good detail to his face, and the composition has him slightly off center which probably makes it more interesting.
    00VT8B-208637584.jpg

49. Jamie Robertson come again mate?!?​
    The idea of this thread is to review the person's photo posted above yours (in your case - my photo). You then post your own photo for review. I cannot believe how this simple and great idea gets so confusing. Almost half the people on this thread just don't understand. I've posted three of my photos and only one of them has been reviewed properly.
    So, let's make this really clear for those of you struggling to understand this simple idea.
    THE RULES:
    • Post a review of the last photograph on this thread
    • When you post your review, include an uploaded street shot of your own
    • The next person who comes along reviews your photo before posting their own shot

IS THAT SIMPLE OR WHAT?

50. marc´s photo: good street snapshot, nothing extraordinary though, rather boring, may be if he would not be looking into the lens would make it more interesting? Excellent idea this thread!!
    00VT9F-208661584.jpg

51. Hey guys, I guess I am suppose to say something about this guy leaning against the wall...
    It's a nice wall but I don't think I would have taken the pix but I am sure that the guy caught your attention as much as you caught his!
    Like someone already said and I quote"this pix didn't get my heartrate going"!
    00VT9U-208663584.jpg

52. I like Pascal's photo very much. I would have cropped out the wall in the foreground, perhaps made it horizontal.
    [​IMG]

53. While the diagonal wall in the foreground helps to frame the picture, that and the dome in the background distract me from the main subject, the couple kissing. Perhaps a more severe cropping and opening up the exposure would improve the shot. (Response to Couple)

54. I would perhaps crop out the background which leads my eye away from the dog looking at his owner.

55. Trying, so far without success, to upload a photo.

56. Still trying....
    00VTBH-208681584.jpg

57. Guys keep your cool. This is supposed to be fun. This thread has attracted a lot of attention and quite some interesting photos and that we should enjoy, I certainly do.
    However, since some people seem to have trouble in writing comments/critiques I'll post a few pointers in the next thread that can be used as a general guidance but only as a general guidance because what you see, think and perceive is the most important. If you do it's likely you'll get it back.
    As far as I can tell Clive's photo hasn't been commented upon as yet which I find surprising because it's not a difficult one. Any takers?

58. sbp

sbp

@ Man and Suitcase... Interesting; the man seems to be pondering what's next to eat. IMO, this would benefit from B&W conversion or desaturation. The bright red coke bottle draws my eye away from the man, who, to me, is the primary subject.
    [​IMG]

59. @MArvin, I think you did it now!
    Nice Communication between the suitecase and the man
    [​IMG]

60. @MArvin, I think you did it now!
    Nice Communication between the suitecase and the man
    [​IMG]

61. Since Clive's photo hasn't been commented on yet, I'll comment on his then post mine. I like the expression on the faces of the two men. The expressions are interesting and quite clear. I'm not sure I like the tilt, but that is personal preference, and I don't think you could straighten it without having to crop one of the men out. I'd also like to see a color version of this shot. I think some color would add to the atmosphere of celebration.
    00VTJE-208737584.jpg

62. @nomad: dont want to come off as hot under the collar, but i think sometimes its easier to be an armchair photographer than be in the moment. that said, i do appreciate your comments. i included the close-up shot for that reason, though to me, there's more context as to the scene from which the image was captured with the wider shot.
    @ton: regarding taking what's there, let me clarify. it's not intended as an excuse for sloppy work, it's just that to me, SP is about quick'n'dirty grabs without elaborate set-ups. if i wanted "perfect" photographs with regard to lighting, contrast, etc.,i would be shooting landscape on a tripod or fashion portraits with reflectors, monolights, etc., not walking through the streets of a city with 20 million people taking random pics of things which catch my eye.
    not to say you shouldnt think about what you want to shoot, nor pay attention to composition. just that sometimes, you might only have a few seconds to get a shot, and the idea is to nail it as best you can, given what you have to work with. but obviously, if i'm posting here i'm looking for feedback to help give me a better idea of what works and what doesn't from fellow photographers (not necessarily incorrect guesses as to what type of material was used in the scene) -- though their likes/dislikes may differ from non-technically-minded folks.
    @phylo: huh?
    @ tom, jamie, pascal, and steve: strong images. pascal, i agree with dan h. the diagonal wall is a bit distracting, but then again, the imperfections are what make it 'street' and not a posed/contrived shot. making it more horizontal might have taken away from the sense of composition.

63. Rachel "Recharging", Emergency vehicles, there must be something interesting occuring, however the photo is too busy and my eye wanders. The bottom right corner looks like it may be cropped for a stronger image to me.
    00VTS1-208813584.jpg

64. I like the way her hair falls down and the idea, but its a bit difficult to see the BBerry or whatever she's got in her hand, although I do like the notion of supplication here. I would've liked it better, and I'm not at all suggesting this was possible, if there were say several people in the same pose. I only say this because walking in NYC, its typical to see several people walking zombie-like next to each other while looking down at their e-mail.
    00VTSj-208819684.jpg

65. Batter up! I like the caption and the subject. I would have cropped it to give the subject more emphasis, but I like the content of people and patterns. And so...here is mine...
    00VTTE-208827584.jpg

66. suggested crop...but I'm a sucker for square format
    00VTUf-208839684.jpg

67. Actually I like this crop a little better
    00VTUr-208841584.jpg

68. Photo 1: too busy, too much subject, the eyes waunder looking for a point to focus on.
    Photo 2: Too centered, not enough interest or suject to focus on.
    Photo 3: Good composition. Good focus. The girl in the foreground does not distract from the subjects. The subjects are a bit off center. there are others things going on here but the eyes go back to the boy in the bars.....
    Much better crop, in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    Born 1/30/1988, death 12/28/2009, heroin overdose:

69. However, since some people seem to have trouble in writing comments/critiques I'll post a few pointers in the next thread that can be used as a general guidance...​
    Ton, I could use a few pointers. I haven't participated until this thread, mostly because my 'critiques' always seem trite to me. I think the poster's deserve better than what I can think to write.

70. interesting portrait of a tragic young lady. She does not look her age.
    00VTae-208895584.jpg

71. To James Owens photo. I find it to be a pretty good quality street photo. The only real thing I can say about it is I would have liked, at first, to see one where the lady wasn't looking. However when I read the caption it is a little more emotional since the person is smiling and appears happy, yet later died from drugs.So it works in that context. Plus the whole thing of seeing her in a mirror is a little haunting. If I was doing some Photoshoping I might blur the background more. Below is my contribution.

72. Sorry...for some reason getting a server error and my photo won't load!
    00VTbS-208901884.jpg

73. Mark:
    Thank you for the comments and critique. Yes, seeing her in the mirror is more haunting; that is why I chose that photo for the end of her life. Looking back at her in a mirror to me is seeing her in my past. And she still haunts me today. I spent about 2 months with her a couple times a week shooting her and her drug friends and I got to know her quite well, (photograhing her only). I photographed her on December 26, 2009 last; that is when this photo was taken.
    I like the photo of the man in the market. I like the compostion and the lighting, the subject looking away. I think it is very good.

74. Mark: I stand corrected. I took the photograh Christmas day, 12/25/2009. Sorry.

75. Mark, not a bad scenario, however, the lack of detail on the entire left hand portion of the photo robs it of any harmony it could possibly have otherwise had. I know this is not helpful but the man's profile does nothing to enhance the picture... if you had taken a step in toward side window or waited for him to turn toward you, the image would be far more compelling. I do like the series of vertical lines...but, really... the picture lacks drama...
    Batter up:
    00VTdg-208927584.jpg

76. Mark, I am with Fi here. I do not see a connection between the man and the displayed wares.
    Fi, this is a nice picture of a bridge with 2 persons walking on it. I like the glow emphasizing the bridge. My criticism is that it is a simple documentation of a scene.
    I find making compelling street photos to be very difficult. I feel that much of my criticisms also apply to my feeble attempt.
    00VTdv-208931684.jpg

77. Robert G, Eric A, thanks for your kind comments. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread but I had a deadline at 4 PM this afternoon and had been working towards it.
    Robert, I'm truly impressed with how well you "read" / guessed the story behind the image I posted at Jan 10, 2010; 09:28 a.m. You put it together almost perfectly. The closer / larger woman was an actor in a silly "murder mystery theater" performance that my wife and I were attending in an adjacent room. The character that the larger woman played was that of an over-the-top, loud, *very* opinionated maid.
    This type of show requires heavy audience participation and strong interaction between the cast and the audience. The smaller, younger woman in back of my image was a guest who had seen the performance before and who had been teasing "the maid" by throwing out extra little clues, asking too many leading questions, etc. With unscripted drama, a great flourish, and a great deal of humor, while always staying in character, "the maid" escorted the younger woman out of the room and temporarily "detained her so that the investigation could continue". Given the humor and obviously unscripted nature of the evolving situation, I saw a photo op coming, so I followed them outside and fired off a couple of frames.
    Thus, Robert G, your initial guess that the the woman in front was a maid was correct. In addition, your interpretation of her expression as "Don't you dare!" is equally correct (ie, "Don't you dare say another word to give away the ending...". Your interpretation of the expression of the younger woman along the lines of "Help, get me out of here" was also amazingly on the mark.
    I know that one of the endearing aspects of street photography often is the ambiguity of trying to guess what is happening, why people have the expressions that they have, etc., but fortunately, this was one of those rare situations where we actually know what happened and thus can check our powers of image capture and subsequent interpretation.
    Cheers,
    Tom M

78. I should comment on James Owen's photo, also. Apparently James posted his photo when I was posting my review of Jose's bar image.
    I see a person who's live a rough life. I see tired, glazed eyes, rough skin, and stains on the cuff of the sweatshirt. The hands are rough, but they hold the cigarette delicately. The person seems cold and mildly amused by the idea that someone is taking their photo.
    It's a low-contrast shot and possibly a tad overexposed. I wonder if boosting the contrast might make it look a bit more dramatic. James gets high marks for filling the frame and not wasting space.
    Mark H - Thanks for your comments. I think I agree with your idea of cropping the FDNY box out of the photo.

79. P N Chong:
    This image has a somewhat surreal feel to it. The person on the left is the subject I'm assuming, appears to be lauging maniacally at his/her players they are controlling on the field. I wish the silhouette/shadow of this person was a little sharper around the edges, as it would give this figure more command over the image. Other than that though, I like the grittiness that the contrast gives to the photo, and it makes the field the players are playing on into a sort of apocalyptic wasteland. The strong, foreboding shadow reminds me of Lee Friedlander's image with the shadow of the man's head (presumably his) on the woman's back. It's a really cool image, although I'm not sure what's "street" about it. Was it taken in a stadium/field? Or am I way off base?
    Anywho:
    [​IMG]

80. Thank you James for taking the trouble to comment. Much appreciated. I agree that it would be great if the shadow could be sharper. This picture was taken at night while I was out strolling. They were playing in a lighted field. If I remember it correctly, the chap was making an "urghhhhh" sound because someone missed a goal!

81. I hope I am doing it correctly and say something about James picture.I will entitle it "Headache".You can see on the board that the game is at the end and somehow the players are annihilating each other.
    Modern dressed Fidel Castro against Leonid Brezhnev. Very good!!
    00VThc-208957684.jpg

82. sbp

sbp

@ Mihail.... Nice - gotta like street food, no matter what country. Personally, I might have cropped just to the right of where the wall goes into shadow. The different texture and tone of the back wall is a little distracting. And maybe a level adjustment to bring down the almost blown-out whites on the woman's shirt and the basket cover.
    The big question - did you have lunch...?[​IMG]

83. Really like the photo of the woman and the action. I do find myself wanting more 'context' of the surroundings however, so it leaves me a bit wanting. Other than that, I enjoy it very much.
    00VTmY-209033684.jpg

84. sbp

sbp

@ Steve H... Point taken. Context is food stall in Bangkok with very low light. Wide aperture pretty much blotted everything around the women. Focal point was the knife, which the woman used to cut fruit at an amazing rate.
    This one better....?
    [​IMG]

85. @ Steve P:
    Sweet photo. Like everything about it. Dynamic range is great. Tells a great city story with many interpretations. Classic Street photo in my book! But not so fast...want to hear your critique of my pic post. Cheers!

86. sbp

sbp

Interesting scene. The young food seller seems about ready for the lady with the list to make up her mind.....

87. OK, first of all thanks to all that contributed here. Both the amount and enthousiasm come as a surprise because when this idea was started again by Clive last year the response was far less but then sometimes it needs the right moment in time to be picked up on.
    There have been some remarks about the format and I've received quite some good and constructive ideas to change the format somewhat. First of all let me make very clear that I'm in no way connected to PN in whatever official capacity. The moderator of this forum is Jeff Spirer. I'm just one of the people who hang out here regularly and who happened to pick up on Clive's idea, that's all. However, since I was already planning to start off another such thread next Thursday I'm going to run these ideas by Jeff because I know from experience there are some issues to adress.
    First of all this can't be a second critique forum so as far as I'm concerned the basic idea will remain the same. However, this site is about exchange and discussion is and should be stimulated as long as it is on topic . Also I would like to discourage any gratuitous thank you's. Let's just agree that they are a given besides which it would most likely lead to a feel good, pat on the back thread and there are already too many of those. Most importantly, remember if you receive a critique/comment realise that someone made a conscious effort to analyse your photo which, as I know all too well from experience is anything but easy.
    As promised I'll put up some pointers. However these will by definition be debatable. Use them if you want to structure your comment somewhat or just neglect them
    Anyway, I'll run these ideas by Jeff ASAP and hope to see you again next Thursday.
    take care

88. Ton:
    I like this thread. I do rather enjoy the interaction on it. It is very interactive and stimulating. Much of my time lately is very taken with a project I am working on; so, I do not have that much time to long onto PN. However, when I do as you can see, I come join you all here. So, I wish to thank you for your efforts put into getting this going.

89. thanks James. But what I did is inconsequential. After all, all I did is start this thing again. It's what we all do that counts, really. Good luck with your project.

90. @Steve Porte, the photo really pops, and I love photographed umbrellas no matter what. the scene is very classic, and well caught in terms of the man separating from the crowd and stepping in front of the bus. Was it cropped from a larger shot? It seems very detached. Still, I think it's a good photo [​IMG]

91. @Steve Porte, the photo really pops, and I love photographed umbrellas no matter what. the scene is very classic, and well caught in terms of the man separating from the crowd and stepping in front of the bus. Was it cropped from a larger shot? It seems very detached. Still, I think it's a good photo [​IMG]

92. I couldn't for some reason caption the last photo, which I usually don't, but, I think "Snowbirds" would be appropriate. It's a warm weather term for visitors from colder climates....:>}

93. @Steve P - I like the Thai woman's knife at the neck of the older lady. I can imagine her spending every day cutting fruit with the mother-in-law and with that slightly gritted teeth grimace she has, thinking, "I don't know how long I can go on working like this."
    @Barry - I like the capture of the stance of the girl on the right, showing that she's with her friend but obviously also waiting for someone (who's probably in the restroom), but otherwise I'm afraid this one doesn't do very much for me. I think it's because their faces lack expression, which obviously isn't helped by the fact that they're wearing sunglasses.
    Here goes...
    00VUQu-209505584.jpg

94. thanx David, did you notice the one on the left appears to be holding the flag pole?

95. I did, but it didn't feel as though that was the intention of the composition as your eyes are drawn away from it as you follow the girls' gazes. If girl-on-right had been looking at something in girl-on-left's hands (or even just at her) and the whole flag had been in the picture, then I feel it would have made a stronger image.
    So many IFs though... ;-)

96. Cool, thanx David.

97. sbp

sbp

@ Barry F... Not a crop - long lens. Umbrella's eh? This from apartment at street below.
    @ David T... cute shot. Obviously relaxed. I might have cropped as tight on the circle as possible for more focus on boy. MHO only.
    [​IMG]

98. I'll try to do some catching up here:
    Looks like no one did David's picture: I love the vignetting of the circle, great colors, nice capture of the kid with the (?beer) bottle. I would have lowered the perspective a little, getting more of the roof and less of the ground.
    Steve's: nice perspective, just the right framing. This would almost work better in B&W, in color a bit more saturation of the blue of the coat and maroon of the umbrella would help.
    Just an idea--if everyone also posted the images to their galleries, further detailed discussion could take place there.
    Here's mine:[​IMG]

99. I like the subject matter and the gritty, dusty B & W documentary look. For me (and I'm a newbie at all this), there seems to be a lot of street to the left that doesn't add to the message. I would have liked to see more of the shadow from the man's bicycle and if you could have shot slightly more to the right and slightly lower (but leaving some distance in the background for context) to isolate the man and his hapless beasts--maybe that would have emphasized him more as the central figure. Makes me wonder about those poor animals and where they ended up a few hours later! Here's mine...I have a thick skin and want to learn, so please lay it on!
    00VVT4-210087584.jpg

100. I like Daniel's color palatte vary much -- the muted grays, browns, and flesh colors. Remindes me of some contemporary paintings. (This is picky, but I think the black border takes away from the photo.) Quite a curious moment also, with the women so obviously engaged with each other, and the strange figure between them. Odd that they are wearing warm clothing and he is shirtless. The strong vertical line is nice, too. Over all, I find this a compelling picture.

101. Had a little problem with my photo post. Here it is.
    00VVZ1-210169584.jpg