Hello,

I have a RZ67 that I love. I use it 99% of the time for landscape

and 1% for static portraits. It is a dream machine for that kind of

art.

However, I have begun to wonder if it could be used for candid

and "street" portaits; has anyone used their RZ/RB for such work? If

so, may I see an example?

--- JDR<div>00FpX0-29120384.jpg.d139783332b8bdaacf9687da0f350994.jpg</div>

I don't use anything as big as a 67 these days but I frequently use Hasselblad and Rollei kit for taking pictures in the street. I find I can just pick a spot, look down into my finder and press the release when the picture appears. Sometimes people notice you but they don't seem taken aback the way they do if you point an eye-level camera at them.<div>00FpZk-29121884.jpg.a84dc220f29d279dcc84f172294d59a8.jpg</div>

Any camera could be used for street photography. I use a 4x5 every once in a while. Of course, it sits unobtrusively on a tripod with a focusing hood over it until I see someone interesting approaching or the Cartier-Bresson moment about to happen. A reflex camera with a waist-level finder allows you to turn the camera sideways toward an approaching target, while you face 90 degrees away. Often, the subject will not notice the orientation of the camera or that you are about to take their picture. I cement a tubular bubble level to the top of my cameras, which helps hold a horizontal orientation.<div>00FpaS-29122184.thumb.jpg.ccc874f7f8df4e2decae15f2434f3c42.jpg</div>

For street shooting, I would think that the RB is as about as unobtrusive as pointing a handgun at people! The whole point of street shooting, kind of goes out the window with such a huge camera? Perhaps with a medium/long tele lens this could be done with some amount of candid subtlety?

People react to your behavior far more than they react to your equipment. I've done street shooting with medium format SLRs, 35mm/digital SLRs, and 35mm rangefinders--there hasn't been much difference in people's reactions to my shooting no matter what camera I was using.

If you can handle the RZ/RB comfortably, confidently, and smoothly, there's no reason you can't use it for street shooting.

i use my rb for almost everything. i use a monopod to help hold her steady for many of my street shots. i also hang it from my neck, but if i can manage i use my monpod. i use a WLF too. these are the only shots i can find of "street"photography. i was using my 90mm and my 250mm. i used 800ASA with the 250mm and 400ASA for the 90mm. it took a bit of time working with the long lens and a waist level. i hope this helps.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=449899

eddie

Occasionally I use my RZ for that. Mostly when shooting in situations where people can expect to be photographed, i.e., protest, street parties, fairs. But the camera is too slow, has too much camera shake/mirror slap, wastes too much film and is too conspicuous for real quick and candid street photography.<div>00FpfB-29124684.jpg.36cd785e44900449f2bd18272eac74a2.jpg</div>

Takes a strong arm and sturdy back to use such a beast for street work. Agree that street work is less about being unobtrusive than about being nonthreatening. Not sure if an RZ counts there or not!

I have used my Contax 645 for street work. Waist-level finder is best as you say. Love that camera; only wish I could afford a decent digital back for it before my Jobo gives up the ghost!

Yes, I used it for street work. The trick is to act as if you could not care less about your surroundings and people will soon assume that you are measuring noise levels or gas leaks with that strange instrument.

You'll need lots of patience and anticipation skills but you can get a very unique shots and you will learn to see unique opportunities. It's lots of fun and it's something very different.

Let the situations develop, don't try too hard to overcome camera limitations, you'll only get frustrated. It's a nice exercise in creativity and I find it refreshing.

Well thanx so much, now I feel the unresistible craving to do it once again.

<p>I've actually found the RZ is a fantastic camera for street photography! Like Pavel said, nobody these days even knows what that strange machine is, so they take much less notice of you. Moreover, when composing a photo, your head is turned down towards the ground (assuming you use a waist-level finder) so you're not actually looking at your subject. With a 35 mm, people realize you're photographing them and often get freaked out (especially when their young kids are nearby).</p>

Yes, I've sometimes used my RZ67 for street, but mostly I use a Mamiya 7II range finder for that sort of film/MF stuff. But I have gotten some stunning street images with that RZ that would be difficult with the 7II. The RZ focuses so much closer of course and the 110mm f/2.8 is a lot faster for availible light. Mamiya makes a Mamiya L-Grip Holder RZ for the RZ67, retails about $225 which is crazy. If you are patient man, set up an eBay search for that grip and in one or six months you'll likely be able to score one for under $50. Maybe it is my eyes but in overhead bright light conditions I sometimes get frustrated with glare on the WLF. I use an AE Prisim Finder almost all the time, but not for any street shoting, strictly tripod work. Camera shake or mirror slap really seems to be a problem below 1/125 or 1/60 second when handheld, at least for me. A bigger problem than with 35mm or 7II, but you can tradeoff for a faster ISO film. If you plan on scanning your 6x7cm later, the newest Portras (Fuji too) are designed to scan better than was posible just a year ago. Good Luck and Good Hunting..!