Street Photography Techniques

a._branson

<p>I was interested in other photographers' techniques for capturing candid images of people on the street. I have always been intrigued by street photography, particularly candid shots where knowledge of the camera does not influence behavior, etc. But I often find myself trigger-shy for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the pictures I want to take can perhaps be invasive, and the mere fact that someone sees me with a camera can be enough to ruin the candidness of the moment. </p>

<p>Although I have a 70-200 mm telephoto lens, I rarely use it for street photography because it draws too much attention. Instead, I have been walking around with a 50 mm lens attached to a shutter release which is in my jacket pocket. It's an interesting way to "shoot from the hip," and I've gotten some decent images from it so far, but many of the images are unuseable due to blur or poor framing (it's hard when you're not looking through the viewfinder!)</p>

<p>I know Walker Evans published a book of subway photographs in which he placed his camera in a bag, allowing him to take pictures of people sitting right across from him as they virtually stared right into the camera. If anyone would like to share their own methods, I'd be interested to hear them. </p>

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>I have recently given up street photography after encounters with the police and threats of arrest. I did about 400 good pictures on the street between the late eighties and not long ago. I have gotten older and it just isn't worth the hassle and stress to me anymore. I used film cameras. A Leica M6 and/or M3, sometimes a Hass SWC. A metered body is best. Setting the exposure on automatic will lose a lot of shots, especially the more interesting ones. Predetermine the exposure and set it correctly so that all you have to do is focus and shoot. Then set the focus to a typical distance range. You get more latitude with this with the wider lenses, but your 50mm will do a good job too. Be aware of changes in the light and reset the camera. These procedures will turn a Leica film camera into a point and shoot as far as speed goes, but you get the advantages of film and great lenses. Hold the camera in your hands. You see something you want, grab it fast. It could disappear immediately in the city, or someone could park a truck in front of it. Get lots of practice, expect it to take a year or so if you are an experienced photographer, otherwise longer. For film I used mostly T Max 100 shot at 80. The tonality is not as good as many other films but it blows up to 16x20 nicely. Do not photograph children or on private property or you are looking for problems.</p>

<p>adam,<br>

i too love the idea of street photography but never have been able to pull it off confidently. i have gobe away to busling cisites just to do street photography but shied away from pressing the shutter button. i find this notion of being in the photographic process, as in being observed clicking the shutter release to be rather problematic. my solution to this was to find a street cafe, sit outside with the camera resing on the table and occassionally clicking. being in uk, you can only sit outside two days per year so i had to shoot through clear glass in many a case. since my street camera was a bessa r, a polariser is difficult to pull off. i have thought about doing it with my battered old om4 and a 50mm zuiko lens, but again, this is a bit more noticeable than the bessa and its pancake 35mm lens. i dare not take out the sony a100 dslr and try and do the same.</p>

<p>one of these days, i am going to head to a pub, have a few drinks and then start my street photography project! at least that way, i won't feel shy!</p>

<p>one tip that has been suggested to me is to hang the camera from the neck with a strap and pose just like a tourist and shoot that way with the lens set on a predetermined meter and focus. as bruce says, it is best to use a wide angle for this. the more simple looking the camera is the better your chaces of mingling in. i would even take off hoods and anything else attached to the lens if it gives the impression that this is a serious photographic tool.</p>

<p>>>> AAlthough I have a 70-200 mm telephoto lens, I rarely use it for street photography because it draws too much attention.</p>

<p>Sell it. No use for SP, even *if* it did draw attention (people put far to much energy into that notion)... And your 50mm,if on a crop cam, makes little sense.</p>

<p>>>> If anyone would like to share their own methods, I'd be interested to hear them.</p>

<p>Be direct, rather than try and sneak shots. You'll get FAR better photos.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>There have been many posts here from people who have been harassed so it does happen but I've never experienced any other then an occasional shop owner telling I can't take pics in their store. Futhermore, I don't recall reading about any other LA shooters having trouble with the police. Damon, Ray, and Barry never mentioned anything about such things as far as I can recall. So maybe it's just the laid back LA vibe or something.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, I wouldn't worry too much about technique. What works for one person may not work for you. Just work at overcoming your shyness and get out there and shoot. Don't care what people think or that you might get noticed. I often use an RZ67...hardly a camera one thinks of as being discreet. Keep shooting and shoot even more and you will start to notice your own natural technique emerging forth. You will see what interests you and how you approach a scene. If it doesn't look like other peoples shots, who cares? Overcome the shyness, make the work your own, and you will get much more enjoyment out of the activity which is really what it's all about. Good luck.</p>

<p>Since you're just starting out, I'd suggest you pick one focal length and stick to it. Learn how to use it ie: distance from subject, angle of view, etc... this way you can frame the scene before you even look through your viewfinder. Although I've seen some spectacular sp with a telephoto, I personally much prefer the slightly wider view (more of the environment; its setting); it shows the subject in context of the surroundings.<br>

Go out and shoot. It's the only way you'll get a hang of anticipating how a scene will unfold (tough to do this in front of a computer). <br>

I personally enjoy looking at other people's photographs so you might want to give that a try. It teaches you some things like composition, how things interact in the scene, etc... for example, take a look at Trent Parke's use of light...<br>

As was mentioned, don't hide the fact that you're out taking photos. From my experience you'll be better received this way than sneaking shots...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Adam,</p>

<p>I agree and disagree with almost everything that has been written here (and they'll be a lot more). I think that kind of sums up the difficulties of asking for advice on what is a very individual pursuit.</p>

<p>Some people are against so-called "sneaky shots," others suggest that such "candid photography" is the only way to do street photography. Some tend to run into problems all the time, others seem to float through without a hitch. Some suggest you wear your camera round your neck like a tourist, other say hold the camera hidden in your hand. And then, of course, we have the gear question and all the individual likes and dislikes that that throws up. </p>

<p>I suggest you look thru the work of people who post here (as you are asking here) regularly and contact by email those whose work appeals to you. If you get no answer, move on to the next person. After studying their work, ask questions specific to the hurdles you face. Don't be a pain, but at the same time, be honest. Also, because this question has come up numerous times before in this forum, you should look thru previous threads.</p>

<p>And, as Marc above suggests, shoot, shoot and shoot!</p>

<p>I have never been fond of photographing strangers, and my natural reticence has been enhanced as a result of a few people who responded badly. As a consequence, my photos generally include either friends, people who aren’t prominent in the image, or nobody at all. I make a bit of an exception for situations where people are clearly making a display of themselves (in costume, for instance), but generally avoid pointing my lenses at people I don’t know, even in public.<br /><br>

While I recognize the sense of this approach, it does make me feel as though my photos lack something that most street photographers manage to capture: specifically, the various moments that make up city life.<br /><br>

Like the original poster, I am trying to be a bit bolder, in order to get some good results.</p>

<p>Put a semiwide angle lens on whatever camera you are using and just shoot whatever interests you. Since you live in NYC, don't worry about what people might think. Get your technique down so you don't have to think about exposure or focusing. When I bring my camera up to my eye, the exposure is set and the focus is at least close to set. The majority of people I shoot on the street are within 8 ft and often closer. I shoot wide (angle) and tight (close). NYC is the best place to learn street photography. Any fear you have is just a problem between your ears: do it and get over the anxiety. Its great fun!</p>

<p>Lots of good advice above. My 2 cents is use a wide to normal range lens and just shoot confidently. I've been shooting street around the world for about 7 years and generally haven't had a problem unless I was in a situation where I felt a little unsure - people pick up on a lack of confidence a will question you (in my experience). I also refrain from shooting kids and always ask if I want to shoot on private property. Generally it works, but there have been a couple of dicey situations I had to talk myself out of.<br>

I generally use a 28-70 or a 12 - 24 (occasionally an 80-200 for special situations) non of which are discreet. I'm also fairly tall, so I don't fade into the background too well. Streets my favorite though so I plan to keep on shooting.</p>

<p><em>"...and the mere fact that someone sees me with a camera can be enough to ruin the candidness of the moment" </em></p>

<p>learn to work your camera blindly so you're ahead of that. There's all kinds of street photography. I think i'ts fair to say that there is at least a "raw" approach and a more aesthetic one. It's just what you want. What doesn't work however is shooting from a distance as was already explained. Shyness can be a problem but you can learn to overcome that. I think the best street photographers have also fairly good to exceptional people skills born from selfconfidence and that's something you can develop. For the most part it's just experience. What also can help you is to do documentary aside because there, by defintion, you've got to get involved with the people you portray. Wide angle up to 50 mm will be just fine for all of that. As for MF, I've tried shooting with a 500 CM once but that can be a bit noticable when you're heard from two blocks away. After that I shot with a Yashica Mat which is a great MF camera for on the street. Mostly however 35 mm will be perfect I use(d) a Pentax LX. Where Bruce used T-Max I preferred Delta 100, not the most forgiving film but with stunning results. Tri-X is always good because you can hardly go wrong with that. Nowadays I only shoot digital. In the end however it's not the camera but you who is the most important factor. Also, work alone and not within a group of friends on the street (some do just that), "sneaky" does never work while "shooting from the hip" is also something I wouldn't recommend (probably treading on some toes here). And as is already mentioned a few times but cannot be repeated enough, shoot, shoot and then shoot some more!<br>

Have fun ;-)</p>

<p>Learn by doing.<br /> Sneaky does work at times if you know what you're doing, which is basically being lightning quick. The best camera to be sneaky with is a Ricoh GRD. Street is a somewhat innocently perverted activity but if it's not subversive in one form or another the photographs can get boring. Do what you have to do to get the shot you want. Back off when you have to, there's always a next time. Do what feels right to you and as you do the thing more that will probably change. Pushing the envelope can be a healthy rush. There are no rules in this game other than to obey the law and treat people with respect.<br /> You're in NY, the easiest frigging place in the world to make street photographs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Futhermore, I don't recall reading about any other LA shooters having trouble with the police. Damon, Ray, and Barry never mentioned anything about such things as far as I can recall. So maybe it's just the laid back LA vibe or something.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>About a month ago, there was some police action taking place a couple of blocks away, and I headed over there, camera in hand. After a few minutes, a police officer with brass on the collar came over asking, "Are those pictures digital?"<br>

So, I'm thinking, "Oh great, here we go." I've never had any trouble with the LAPD or Sheriffs, but reading about what has happened lately in Oakland, Chicago, Minneapolis-- you never know.<br>

When I told him that they were digital, he handed me his card and asked if I could send some photos, saying that he would share them with the other guys. Later, another officer gave me his email address, too. And they both sent thank you notes, one signed "see you at the next one." By the way, the pictures were nothing to write home about, but they liked them.<br>

So, yes, it's pretty laid back out here in LA.... but you never know.</p>

<p>Definitely don't recommend sneaking around. Just makes people nervous while you're sweating if people are noticing you. Much better to blend in by being obvious. Just take the shot you need to take. 99.9% of the time people just don't care. Use short lenses, and get close. I've yet to see very good SP with long telephotos.</p>
www.citysnaps.net

<p>Can we stop making generalizations please? Yes, I would recommend mastering the concept of being open and obvious first, and thereafter most or even all of the time if you want, but being 'sneaky' when and if you think it's the best tactic to get the shot you want. I think the problem here is the word being used, which suggests the pejorative. Maybe better described as being quick and unnoticed. 'Sneaky' out of fear I would say is bad, 'sneaky' from the standpoint of skill and planned tactic not necessarily bad at all.</p>

<p>Years ago, when I went on a 6,000 mile Amtrak trip. I tried to take a picture of the inside of one of those double decker observation cars. As, I was about to take the picture. A lady at the other end, stood up, started yelling very loudly, and for several minutes. Will never do that again,anywhere!</p>

<p>Hah, actually Ray and I got ran off an accident scene..no big thing. I distracted the cop while Ray moved in and low bridged her while i pushed her over. We took her Glock, tied her up, snapped a few and went off for a beer. We told her if she said anything we'd publish the pics. As you can see, street is easy, its all in your open and friendly attitude.<br /> Ok, we did get chased off the scene..I thought she was a jerk for asking me to "let her do her job" as if I was dumb enough to intefere with an accident scene, but one of the victims was upset and she got nervous I was taking pics so the cop was being protective, no worrys,it wasn't that interesting anyways, certainly nothing worth arguing about...<br /> I agree pretty much with Brad as far as being open. I may not announce my presense when taking some pics, and the GRD is very small footprint, but I don't skulk around...much, and a lot of times I will engage people. I'll also walk around with a DSLR and 17-35 Zoom and that doesn't seem to really be a factor. Other times I will just shoot and deal with what comes up. There are times, when I feel it would be ill advised to take a photo and that I might suffer real consequences, so I don't. Much of that is subjective, and you have to learn to trust your perception and intuition. That's what a lot of street is anyways, just that. I think doing it for a while teaches you the boundry between irrational activity stopping fear and paranoia, and sound judgement of risks. Usually, the risks are few.</p>

<p>Let me add for Adam, I've been in NY City once. Really, you are in a shooter's paradise. People don't even notice you. It's the best place to learn the craft. Go out with a friend to jolly each other around, that will really help. Lose the telephoto for this type of shooting unless you have a very specific reason for it. Really just stand on a busy corner or just walk around, day and night, you won't get hassled shooting ordinary folks, in 99% of the time.</p>