Strap for Skiing

szrimaging

<p>So, I don't ski with my SLR, except when it is a must. Mostly, because every way I have to carry it is akward on skis (either the stock strap or a Burton F-Stop Backpack). Just curious if anyone has found a sling style strap that has worked better for skiing than the stock neck straps.It needs to lock the camera in position while skiing, but quickly allow access to it when I stop to shoot.</p>

<p>Nope, and I was a PSIA cert in alpine.</p>

<p>I never found any method that got a DSLR out of the way (ie, neither in front so it wouldn't crush your chest in a forward fall/collision, nor in back, so it wouldn't get hung up on the chairlift ride), AND be convenient.</p>

<p>The best I ever came up with for a DSLR kit was a photo backpack that I would carry up the chair in my arms. </p>

<p>Overall, the *really* best approach is a smaller camera. ;-)</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Yeah, I ski with the Olympus E-PM1 as much as possible, but sometimes you just need the DSLR (AF Tracking, particular lenses, etc).<br /><br />If I had the money, I would probably grab an E-M5 and use that, but sadly a new camera is not in the forecast for at least a year.</p>

<p>If one is shooting in one area of the mountain, (e.g, the park, a particular turn in a race course, etc.), and not moving around the mountain a lot, I'm OK with having a big un-yieldable chunk of metal attached to my chest, but if I need to move from one side of the mountain to the other, I definitely prefer to have it on my back, in a pack. Besides, if you are carrying other equipment (eg, pocket wizards, strobes, other lenses), you are stuck using a backpack anyway. YMMV.</p>

<p>BTW, not directly related to your question, but another important feature to consider are the advantages of shooting with a camera that has an articulated LCD. I can ski backwards very fast, but unless I have someone spotting for me, I'm always torn between my photographic task and safety, ie, keeping track (over my shoulder) of what I might run into. However, with an articulated LCD, I can ski parallel and slightly ahead of someone (say, hitting a park feature) while skiing normally (instead of backwards).</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

• 10 months later...

For general skiing a small camera works well - I just use a Nikon 1 that goes in a pocket. For shooting racing with long

lenses and DSLR I just carry a large backpack. I find you either set up the shot and use a DSLR or you just carry

something small. For racing it help if you shoot from a low angle although you need to watch the spill zones as the best

shots are usually when you are in the spill zone.

• 4 weeks later...
<p>ClikElite. I have the Contrajour 40L, and love it. Might be a bit big/overkill as it is more of a backcountry studio... I believe they make some smaller "daypack" ski bags. Check them out. They also make a good side sling with a belt strap, dude who I've skied for uses one all the time.</p>