Strap for heavier gear

devon_mccarroll

Still hoping to upgrade to the 5D3 soon, and I was wondering if any of you use Black Rapid straps or similar, and what you recommend

for taking pressure off of your neck. I have some neck arthritis, and I looked at harnesses, but they appear to be made to carry two

camera bodies for balance. Since I'll just be carrying one, are there some good cross body straps or anything else you'd recommend?

<p>I suggest putting the strap round your shoulder - not your neck - and if carrying the camera without needing it to hand, pulling the strap round so the camera rests against your back or your hips. As long as the strap is tight enough that the camera doesn't bounce as you walk, this is the most comfortable way to carry the weight.</p>

<p>I've been using the Black Rapid Classic (RS-4) for a number of years with the 5D, and I highly recommend it. Pressure is not placed on the neck, even if you are only using one strap (that's what I use). I don't usually use a strap at all for day to day shooting, but for events, I find the Black Rapid ideal.</p>

<p>I use the Black Rapid after it was suggested here when I posted on my new 100-400mm lens.</p>

<p>That lens was a major pain-in-the-neck when carried around the neck. With the BR strap, I hardly know it's there. </p>

<p>Strongly recommended and worth the price.</p>

<p>I use an Opt/Tech Pro Strap, more or less the same as a BlackRapid (shoulder or neck) but it does not connect to the tripod mount, rather it attaches to where the original camera strap connected. That means no goofing around when I want to put the camera on a tripod or monopod... I personally love the strap. Regards, B...</p>

<p>I use an Op/Tech <em>Sling</em> Strap - that's their Black Rapid-style offering - with my (<strong><em>extremely</em> heavy!</strong>) gripped Canon 7D and Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, usually with a 2x TC attached.</p>

<p>I can easily go for an entire day in the field with this set-up - eight or more hours. As Brian points out, this strap attaches by loops to the camera's strap mounts, and because it comes with two loops, I use 'em both - one on the body's right hand strap mount, one on the grip's strap mount,</p>

<p>This way the camera and lens sit perfectly on my right hip (lens pointing down and back); and the use of both strap mounts spreads the load nicely. The neoprene shoulder pad's stretch really helps reduce the perceived weight, too.</p>

<p>Works brilliantly, and has done for years - before I got the Siggy, I was doing the same with the (comparatively featherweight) Canon 100-400mm.</p>

<p>I generally use an Op/Tech strap because of the convenience of being able to remove it (it has clips), but the Crumpler Industry Disgrace, which I also own, is in my opinion more comfortable. However, these are both conventional straps, and they only take pressure off your neck if you sling the camera crosswise.</p>

<p>Another option, although it is a bit cumbersome, is the Cotton Carrier vest carrier. Google it to see what it looks like. it gives you a platform on your chest onto which you clip your camera. I use one occasionally because I have a bad back, and an asymmetrical load hurts. The cotton carrier makes the load symmetrical.</p>

<p>I got the Black Rapid RS-4 and the SpiderHolster Black Widow Kit a few weeks ago. I have since shot a three day music festival and a wedding and have concluded that this is the best $120 I've ever spent on my photography. I've had no back pain at all. The Black Rapid is nice, but I'm having an unnatural relationship with my Black Widow. I really love that puppy.</p>

<p>I carry a 7D w/70-200 f2.8 IS on the BR, a 7D w/17-55 f2.8 IS on the BW, and a couple of primes and a flash and little bits in a small, light, waterproof diaper bag sling sack that I picked up at a flea market for a dollar. I added a pouch to the Black widow belt to carry a bottle of water. I'm in Heaven. Am I gushing?</p>

<p>I started with the 70-200 on the Widow but within an hour I was having hip pain. I have old joints, much abused in my youth. I switched the cameras and, as someone above says, I don't even know they're there. This is great! I can carry two cameras, a hot dog and a beer, all at the same time. Can it get any better? I am gushing.</p>

<p>Often enough, the stops on the Black Rapid, that limit the movement of the camera, loosen and the strap slides around my shoulder. I don't care. It takes a few seconds and no effort to set it right again. However:<br /><br />WARNING: There are reports of the studs that screw into the camera body coming loose on both systems. I tightened both studs securely, AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS, and I've not experienced that problem, BUT at one point the camera slipped off the Black Rapid carabiner and fell to the ground. Fortunately I was already on the ground and the gear didn't have far to go. I may have failed to tighten the closure. I don't know. But a bit of gaffer tape will prevent a repeat. I may eventually rig up some kind of cable lock between the camera's strap thingee and the closed end of the Rapid's carabiner.</p>

<p>As noted above, about the only downside to either of these systems is you have to remove the studs to use a tripod (there are workarounds), but what's a minute of your life when you're about to capture the world's great landscape photo?</p>

<p>All in all, I'm thrilled (he gushes). YMMV.</p>

<p>I've recommended the Black Rapid RS-5 to a number of friends. I get positive responses from those who purchase one. The RS-5 has a few storage compartments and allows me to carry a couple of spare LP-E6 batteries. I can go all day with a gripped 5D3 and 100-400L with no neck strain. It makes easy work when hauling heavy gear. And the camera is ready at a moment's notice to shoot at your leisure. No unzipping sling bags or fishing the camera out of a backpack.</p>

<p>"<em>Upstrapstraps will hang from your shoulder and not fall off</em>". - not quite so.</p>

<p>Upstrap holds the grip onto a textured fabric clothing only.</p>

<p>Anything of nylon type, synthetic or water repellamt clothing etc, the Upstrap will drop the camera down your shoupder like a rock.</p>

I use a set of OpTech straps, with universal connectors on the camera and adaptors that give me a sling, a neck strap, or

a wrist strap, depending upon what I'm doing at the time. I'm very happy with these, and the modular design is clever

and effective. (I've also got an adaptor to connect to a backpack, but haven't tried that out yet.)