Strange(r) reaction

._._z

Some people are just jerks, that's all. He's one of those who thinks he can behave any way he wants, but the second

someone calls him on it, <b>they're</b> the *******! I actually feel sorry for people who have go through life with the

disposition of a chihuahua. Can you imagine being <b>that</b> angry all the time? Seems exhausting!

<br><br>

Another angle, of course, is that's where shooting medium format could really come in handy! Run into a guy like this,

and my 55-100 "C" lens could <b>at least</b> give him a concussion (and probably work fine afterwards)! I'm generally

not a confrontational person, but if it was me or him.....

<br><br>

In any case, love the article. Thanks for sharing it.

Something missing here. Why was he yelling at the homeless guy in the first place? The man was with his daughter. Did the homeless guy flash himself, say something lewd to his daughter? We don't know. I don't think the guy taking the photo knew and if you find yourself in a situation where your daughter is involved, the last thing you want is someone coming to take your photo. You never know who you're stepping up to. What if the guy really was a nut job, pulled his gun out and shot you in the face? Not the kind of shot your looking for. Sometimes people just need to learn how to mind their business.

No,no,no,You're all (except one) wrong! If you've got to beat someone with a camera forget the Zenits & Om's (Too small) and go straight for the Kievs or maybe a Mamiya TLR (except they can actually be used as a camera so be careful).Just try wacking someone up side the head with a Kiev 60 with a 180 Ziess jena & a prism!!!Bang!Problem solved.

Ps. the guy who wasn't wrong was the Pentacon TL guy.He gets 2 points for knowing which cameras are best for self defense.

I tend to carry a monopod nearly everywhere I carry a camera. I'm a bit of a shakey photographer, particularly if I'm tired, and the monopod has made for some really sharp shots. Of course, in public use, a monopod is always much more socially acceptable than a tripod.

Its quite small and light, a Manfrotto 679B, but it has a 3229 quick release tilt head fitted. It always strike me that its very similar in weight and balance to the ASP Tactical baton that I carry occasionally at work. Expandable too. If I'm not actually taking a photo, its disconnected from the camera (quick flick of the thumb). Have to say that I feel a lot more comfortable to have my monopod with me when I'm lugging a few grand worth of cameras and glass around the city.

I'd much rather swing a hefty metal stick than my pretty cameras. Just a thought.

Poor judgement. What ever was going on was none of your business. You walked into a situation that was already hot, and you exploited it for your own gratification. Yes, you may have been within your "rights," but so is pulling into an intersection on a green light when a cement truck is obviously running the red light. The guy could have injured you seriously. Or maybe he'll just figure out where you live.

This in no way excuses his behavior. But I wouldn't want someone poking a camera in my face in a stressful situation either.

Phil -- if we all took your advice - 90% of the best photos would be absent from the world... I've been in the same situation - and would do it again in a heartbeat - it's not my problem if people can't control their emotions -- but it is my job to record what goes on with humanity...

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The photographer at the link cited said he responded with "I told him that yes, in fact, I can." This is a response I have given as well. I've never encountered anyone as aggressive, happily. </p>

<p>

I'm wondering, out loud, if another response might have defused the situation more quickly, for example by saying "Sorry to have bothered you", smiling and walking away. It occurs to me that contradicting his mistaken understanding of your rights are is unlikely to result in a calm debate, when he was already so angry. It really is unimportant whether you were right or not <i>at that exact moment</i>. A greater priority is not to get slugged, or have your equipment damaged, or to respond physically yourself.

</p><p>

In those situations, I'm beginning to think it can be better to simply apologize and avoid argument. Unless, of course, it is your goal to establish some new First Amendment principle, for example.</p>

<p>

On a typical outing I might see dozens of shot opportunities. I miss shots for lots of reasons, some valid, some not: I wasn't ready, the subject turned their head at the last minute, an unanticipated light suddenly appeared, I didn't frame it well, I accidentally included too much. Maybe another valid reason is avoiding a bloody nose. Another photo op is sure to be around the corner.</p>

Some people thrive on anger and confrontation. It's not exhausting to them. To them, it's invigorating. But it exhausts everyone else by sucking all the air out of the room. They're energy vampires.

Makes for good photos and anecdotes, tho'.