Strange quirk

darklights

Canon seems to have this strange quirk. On some items that you would

expect to be cheaper, they charge more....and visa versa. Now, don't

get me wrong neither are really coslty, but why the heck does Canon

charge less for their infrared remote (which does more) than the

older limited cable remote?!! madness!

actually for me, i expect everything to be cheaper. take for instance, the tripod ring (A) for the 70-200 f4 lens. First of all, why does it cost a lot more in white? and why do either the black or white versions cost so much to begin with? it's plastic for godsake!

Economies of scale and marketing. Some stuff like the older wired remote are probably expensive because the make a lot less of them. Things like the white tripod ring being more expensive are probably because they know there are a bunch of suckers who'll pay extra for image. As for why they charge so much for a plastic ring. Because the can?

" ...works even from behind and the side of the camera. So anyone getting the cable remote is a loser..."

Mine only does so as long as there is something to reflect the infrared to the front of the camera (a nearby wall etc.). Take it outside, in the open and it does not work like that at all. FWIW, even a close by tree can reflect enough for it to work from behind/side of the camera.

The cable release is more flexible with the photographer behind the camera. I have done self timed 10 minute dusk exposures using the wired one - AFAIK I don't think achievable by the infrared one !

- Harman

<P><I>"...and why do either the black or white versions cost so much to begin with? it's plastic for godsake!"</P></I><P>I can only assume you haven't bought or touched one yet as the Tripod Ring A is metal, i.e., aluminum alloy with a felt lining on the ring. Maybe a bit pricey but try making one that works as well for $75. Incidentally, I wouldn't take the Lord's name in vain over such a matter.</P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"By the way, at least on the Elan 7e the infrared one works even from behind and the side of the camera. So anyone getting the cable remote is a loser."

OOCH ..ow..and no fair! I had the cable version before I even knew about the ir version (uses the same as standard 35mm SLR Rebel). Cut a little slack :)

Strange quirk indeed. For some reason I don't feel like a looser. I'm not sure why though. Steven says that I am one. I read it right here on the web, and at Photo.net no less, so it must be true. I wonder why I still don't feel like a looser? There must be something wrong with my feeler. I just don't get it.

Or maybe it's just that people who haven't experienced the joy of not having to rely on fickle IR remotes are loosers. Could that be it? Surely not! :) Okay, I got both, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

My name is Jim, and I'm a wired remote user... ...sometimes. There, are you happy now?

If I were so depraved/deprived that I could only have one remote, it would be the IR type, but thank God, I had, at one time in my life, enough money to buy both. Oh, the decadence! And to think, I actually use both!!! How bad to the bone can I be??!!

Odd that I still don't feel like a looser though.

I suspect the added price is due to the fact that fewer people buy the wired remote, driving up the price per unit.

"My name is Jim, and I'm a wired remote user... ...sometimes. There, are you happy now?"

Jim, all is not lost, yet: ask those who have the IR to fire off multiple shots with one press (a la 3fps shots) with their remote - they can't (at least not on the Elan 7/E) but you as a wired user can !!! Also, when the IR batteries die down, the wired one will still be going at it for a long time ... Now who is the loser ...eh ?

:)

- Harman

Well, here's another strange quirk...multiple shots fired off. I can shoot off a very much quicker series of shots with my cable remote than I can using the camera ( Rebel 35mm SLR)handheld! That would really annoy me if I were into action shots, but since I'm not...

It seems Canon has many quirks yet to discover.

As to Macmans' computer??? what would you consider a REAL computer? I hope my 3.2 gHZ intel server board and the buku attachments is real (evil grin).