Strange MD-4, MC-12A Operation. Is an MC-10 preferred?

david_h._hartman

When I hold the fire button on my MC-12A half way down the F3

meter turns on. While still holding the MC-12A fire button half

way down the meter turns off after 16 seconds. Now when I press

the fire button down all the way to fire instead of firing the

meter come on and I swear the MD-4 is sticking out its

tongue at me. Is this a design quirk, feature or a malfunction?<br>

<br>

An MC-10 (MC-12 modified by removing the circuit board) will

always fire the F3 w/ MD-4 but it will not turn on the meter but

a fraction of a second before firing. According to...<br>

<br>

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/mo

tordrive/md4tech.htm<br>

<br>

...there is a 22.5ms +/- 0.5ms On-delay "From the time when

camera's closing curtain signal turn' on to the time when motor

starts rotating." Is this enough time for proper Aperture

Priority exposure and TTL-OTF flash control?<br>

<br>

Is there any reason to belief that an MC-12 and an MC-12A are

electronically different? <br>

<br>

Is anyone here using an MC-10 with the F3 and MD-4 with Aperture

Preferred or TTL-OTF flash control and doing so successfully?<br>

<br>

Sorry for the strange questions. Ive ordered manuals for

the F3HP and MD-4 but have yet to receive them. I hope someone

here understands these questions and has the information.<br>

<br>

Thank you for considering this,<br>

<br>

Dave.

Maybe a malfunction? I tried my MC-12A and it functions normally, i.e. halfway down it activates the meter, but it doesn't go off if I hold the button. If I do let go, it shuts off after about 16s. Pressing the button all the way fires the drive normally.

Not sure the manual will help much, there are pdf F3 & MD4 manuals available on web, the MD4 manual mentions the MC-12 (not sure how this is diifferent from MC-12A) and states:

"Depressing the button half-way turns on the camera's exposure meter; de-pressing it further releases the shutter. After finger pressure is removed, the meter stays on for 16 sec., automatically turning itself off to conserve battery power."

Well, I dug out an MC-12A I haven't used in a decade (I think). Tried it against my two F3s (one HP, one not) with MD-4 and MK-1 on both. I get the exact behavior David describes. If I just 'wake' the F3 by touching the button, it will go to sleep in sixteen seconds, and all is normal.

If I instead hold the button halfway down for sixteen seconds, the meter goes out, and then a full press turns the meter back on, but won't fire the camera. Releasing the button and pressing again fires the camera.

Tried it without the MK-1 on one of them, no differences.

Strange. I double checked mine, the meter definitely will stay on as long as I hold the MC-12A button half way, and fire if I press all the way. The meters shuts off after 16s if I am not depressing the button.

I am testing this with F3 and MD4 set on 'orange dot' position. Switch in 'S' & 'C'.

Very strange...

If the motor is set to L and the body switch is on (or off) the meter comes on and stays on as long as the button is pressed half way, then shuts off 16 seconds after it�s release. Not particularly useful as the motor will not fire with a full press.

If the motor is set to C and the body switch is on or off, holding the button down half way activates the meter and it shuts off after 16 seconds, after this a full press only turns the meter back on. Not particularly useful as a shot will be lost.

I won�t worry about this. I�ll use these cords with macro mostly as I don�t shoot formal portraits or group shoots. Those are the situations where this quirk would come into play. When I shoot candids it�s always hand held.

All this fun began while I was timing the firing rate with NiMH and Lithium batteries (bored out of my mind, sick with the flu). For easy in timing I was waiting for the second hand on a wall clock to hit 12, 3, 6 or 9 which occasionally caused a delay of more than 16 seconds. The firing rate is 4 fps w/ NiMH and 5 fps w/ Lithium.

I�ll have to do some practical test with my MC-12, the modified into an MC-10. There is about 25ms for aperture preferred to wake up and a little more for TTL flash. I�m guessing 25ms enough.

---

One thing I�ve learned is the MD-12 is damn nosy compared to the MD-4. Does anyone recommend hearing protection for the MD-12? I need to save my ears for Rock �n� Roll.

---

Todd,

Any chance you would like to selling your MC-12A? What I�m looking for is a handle or control unit with two Phillips head screws in the bottom. If yours is in good condition and you are interested please e-mail me.

---

Thanks so much for the replies!

Dave.