reading for over an hour and can't seem to get a handle on it. I am having some

strange problems going from LR to sRGB JPGs for the web. In the past, I've

never noticed a problem, but I'm now using a different monitor and a different

camera (both around the same time) so one of those two things might be causing

a new complication that I don't understand. In any case, the problem is that

after tweaking a photo in LR to look just how I want it and exporting to an

sRGB JPG from within LR, the exported JPG looks very different (and worse) then

the LR equivalent. I've noticed this in several shots now. The JPG files seem

to take on a reddish tint and appear darker.

I know LR uses ProPhoto RGB as it's working space, and that this has a much

wider gamut then sRGB. My understanding, though, was that when exporting to

JPG, LR performs a perceptual color space conversion to try and maintain the

image as much as possible. When I send the file straight to Photoshop for

editing and perform the color space conversion there, the result is exactly

what I would expect. My only conclusion so far is that there is a problem with

the way LR converts from ProPhoto to sRGB color space (though I'm hoping I just

don't understand something). I really don't want to hear "well just always

convert in Photoshop" - that defeats the purpose of attempting to use a good

all around converter/editor like LR.

I've included a screen capture to show the difference. The image on the left is

the converted JPG from LR, and the right is the LR develop module. Thanks for

any help anyone can provide.

My current monitor is not calibrated right now (though neither was the other one). The JPG viewer I've been using is the built-in Windows Image Viewer - it is not color managed, and uses the same API that most non-image-focused Windows applications (such as IE) would use.

I am going to try and calibrate my monitor soon - but I still don't understand why the conversion straight from LR->JPG would be so different from the LR->Photoshop->JPG conversion...and why the latter is so much better (in the sense of being closer to the LR version when viewed).

Based on the screen shot of LR and Windows Image-Viewer, it certainly appears that the ProPhoto->screen conversion that LR is doing to show the image is different than the cumulative ProPhoto->sRGB and sRGB->screen conversion that LR and the Image-Viewer are doing.

I believe the MS Image-Viewer is color-managed, but I'm not sure what it does when there's no monitor-profile. I generally use FireFox or IE when I want to make sure there's no color-management going on between the file and the screen.

>Just for fun, I displayed the same image in the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" and

FireFox 2.0.0.12.

Those applications are not ICC aware. The previews, even of sRGB may not match what you

see in Lightroom or Photoshop, those being ICC aware applications (and previewing the

numbers correctly).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Okay - I think I've gotten to the bottom of it. I noticed in my monitor settings (from Windows) that my display device was using a custom ICC profile that must have been installed with the drivers. I manually added sRGB as my display profile and restarted. Low and behold, LR and it's sRGB output now look nearly identical. This suggests that LR must be interpreting its internal ProPhoto representation for display using the device ICC profile (as it should) somewhat differently then Photoshop does. So the problem (if there even was one - it was probably more my misunderstanding of how color management works) was more with LR displaying an editing view that wasn't what was expected then the output not matching the editing view (if that makes sense).

>I manually added sRGB as my display profile and restarted. Low and behold, LR and it's

sRGB output now look nearly identical.

You didn't fix anything, you essentially now lied to Photoshop and other ICC aware

applications such that they now show you the wrong previews just like all the other non ICC

aware applications. Photoshop and other ICC aware applications need a profile that defines

how your display behaves so it can produce the correct color appearance from the numbers.

You just ripped that functionality from Photoshop, now everything matches (incorrectly).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Andrew Rodney, "You didn't fix anything..."

Well, yes he did.

He doesn't have a calibration system (yet), so the problem was the incorrect profile that LR was using to (incorrectly) convert his ProPhoto colors to the monitor's space. Now he's installed the "best guess" profile so LR does as-close-as-it-can-to the right thing.

For most of us David observations is a main issue. When we print our pics or just post them on the web, the space required is sRGB (not many popular labs apply colour management at least here) and in light room we are tweaking withouth knowing the final result that only will be visible when we convert to sRGB. In photoshop you can turn the proof colours to get an idea of how pics will look in sRGB but not in LR. As conclusion the perception of wider spaces in display is only interesting for people who prints using these spaces (or labs with colour management). On the other hand the final test is process one pic with the raw converter of your camera and with light room the difference is awesome. LR is far worst. Part of this effect I think is due to that LR displays (at least you have done David manual configuration of monitor) prophoto colours , which look greeninsh and ugly on our screens.

That's how I see it I would like some expert input in order to make everything right but definitly is not lack of calibration what david sees.

>Well, yes he did.

Well no he didn't. I explained why. Now all ICC aware applications are as completely wrong

about previewing the numbers. And if you think that his display's native behavior is sRGB,

and thus, using sRGB as a display profile is getting him closer to correct, that's not the case

either. There hasn't been an sRGB display behavior since about 1993 using a CRT with P22

phosphors. The various applications all match in producing the wrong previews. That's not a

fix.

>How can we "see" the results produced by srgb output in LR?

Just as you can see the results of sRGB in Photoshop or any other ICC aware application.

There are two mechanisms going on here. First you have a pile of RGB numbers that are

associated with a color space known as sRGB (we hope that association is correct). Next

we have a display profile. Only with both pieces of info can an ICC aware application

provide the correct preview of said numbers.

Make a document in sRGB, Adobe RGB (1998) and ProPhoto RGB and paste R0/G255/B0 in

each. The numbers are the same. The colors are NOT (they fall in different locations in the

color space we call human vision). They will appear the same in ICC aware applications

because of the architecture described above. Now open them in a non ICC aware

application like nearly all web browsers. The colors do not appear the same (or correct) as

they did in Photoshop or Lightroom (by all means, import all the documents into LR and

view them).

Now change the display profile and you'll see the colors preview differently in Photoshop

(and LR). What is the correct preview of the numbers? That which uses a display profile

that defines how that display is currently behaving.

I understand I'm "lying" to my color managed programs about the capabilities of my monitor. That's fine with me given I can now edit and the output looks the same as my editing environment (isn't that really the point of color management anyway?).

What I don't get is, how would color management help the situation. If I profile my monitor and use a correct ICC profile, would LR then output perceptual sRGB JPG files that closely match what I see on my screen? I suspect the answer is no, in which case, all I would have succeded in doing is making it impossible to proof my output in my editing environment - isn't that a bad thing?

"People who don't calibrate their monitors have no right to complain about why images appear differently between applications." - tangential to this topic, the tone of this remark is disturbing to me. It suggests that everyone should know about color calibration and there is no excuse for not understanding it. It's a difficult and complex topic, and I'm guessing there are a lot of folks on here (myself included) who are just getting their toes wet and trying to understand how it all works...

>I understand I'm "lying" to my color managed programs about the capabilities of my monitor. That's

fine with me given I can now edit and the output looks the same as my editing environment (isn't that

really the point of color management anyway?).

NOT AT ALL! The point of color management is to give the RGB and CMYK numbers a meaning, to see

the values correctly, to map values from one color space to the other (so you can map sRGB to

MyPrinterRGB) and get the desired and expected color appearance.

Go back prior to say 1998, Photoshop wasn't an ICC aware, color managed application. What you've

done is make all versions of Photoshop since 5.0 now act like version 4.0 and earlier. That's NOT a

good thing. So you lied to Photoshop and all other ICC aware applications and now they are all

incorrect instead of only most of them being incorrect.

With this logic, one could look at an image that appears too dark in Photoshop and instead of altering

the RGB numbers to correct this, all you did was increase the luminance on your display so the image

doesn't look as dark. How was that useful? It isn't. Nor is the process you applied to take the only one

or two applications that had a chance of showing you the numbers (that's all computers understand

anyway) correctly.

>What I don't get is, how would color management help the situation. If I profile my monitor and use

a correct ICC profile, would LR then output perceptual sRGB JPG files that closely match what I see on

my screen?

Forget sRGB and perceptual (we're not there yet...). What it does is show you the RGB numbers

CORRECTLY and as everyone else would see them using an ICC aware application and a profiled

display.

>Understood, I got it now. I will turn my monitor to pro photo again.

No, no no! Bad dog. You need to load a display profile (one that defines how that display is

behaving). You never load an RGB working space here.

"What it does is show you the RGB numbers CORRECTLY and as everyone else would see them using an ICC aware application and a profiled display" - got it... maybe :). So the crux of the issue is that when I've got the correct monitor profile installed, LR displays the wider color space correctly on my monitor which can also display that wider color space correctly, right? So if everything were profiled, when I print (for example), the print would look exactly like it did on my profiled monitor in my profile-aware application...

So I'm still confused about outputting for the web, then. Why does the sRGB JPG output from LR look so different from the one output by Photoshop? How can I get the JPG output from LR to look like I think it should to the majority of viewers on the web?

BTW - thank you everyone for the help! This is demystifying a lot for me, and hopefully the conversation is helpful to others as well.

>o I'm still confused about outputting for the web, then. Why does the sRGB JPG output from

LR look so different from the one output by Photoshop? How can I get the JPG output from LR

to look like I think it should to the majority of viewers on the web?

You need an ICC aware web browser. There's like two! Safari and the beta of FireFox for

Windows. The web isn't color managed. That's the problem.

It depends on what application you are viewing them with. If it is a color-managed one, you can use any color space and the results will be almost the same (clipping notwithstanding). It's when you have to deal with non-color managed applications that you have to be careful. Such applications are effectively working in the monitor's color space. Since the average monitor is close to sRGB, it is advised to convert your images to that in order for the omitted color space conversion (from sRGB to your monitor's actual color space) to be of minimal loss.

When you are not working with color-managed applications you have to ABANDON the notion of exact matches. Just make sure your image looks acceptable in sRGB (by which I mean the clipping is acceptable), and move on.