Strange Leica M3 problem

Hi there. I'm selling my Leica M3 on Craigslist, but when someone tried it out

it snapped one photo and then stopped. Do you guys know what the problem is? The

shutter is closed, so it makes no sense to me why it stopped snapping photos.

Here's a link to the Craigslist ad:

https://accounts.craigslist.org/post/shwpst?pii=439658979&db=lv

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Assuming you figured out to re-tension the shutter, if the camera still doesn't fire, and appears to be jammed, then there is a worse case scenario.

The light shield strip inside the camera may have fallen into the shutter tape.

You need to take it in for repair; it's a bit of a PITA to remove.

Vick

Victor,

If this is a single stroke M3 and you now cannot advance the frame, then your M3 is stuck. I've had this happen to me before on my M3, and after had it sent out for an "unsticking" I found that there is a little lever that gets reset to allow for the advancing of the frame. It can fall off it's seat if you have jarred it too hard. I know Leica's are known for robust reliability, but I assure you I did not drop mine to have this happen to me. Find a reputable Leica repair person and get it fixed.

Victor,

Sorry but as a technician, I'm not sure what it is that Gary E. is talking about... "little lever that gets reset" ???

Ken on the other hand, may be on the right track. If there's film loaded in to the camera and somebody believes that they're dry firing, eventually they'll hit the end of the roll; no more winding makes for a simulated jam.

Otherwise, it requires service by a qualified technician. Regards, Gus

Well Ken, too simplistic an explanation for what happens to involve a complex series of levers, cams and gears. They provide for among other things, prevention of premature firing, over-advancing, too much curtain over travel, and the completion of cycle mechanism.

In addition: To claim that a little lever fell off its seat, unjustly contradicts Gary's "robust reliability" statement.

The only weakness in this Leica M shutter is the velvet strips Vick spoke of; the original 50's adhesive used to hold these strips, lost their pliability, became brittle then failed. (Causing the detachment) Gus