Stowe, VT. Is the road to Smuggler's Notch open, yet?

gauthier

I'm planning a trip to Mt Mansfield, near Stowe VT, in the next two

weeks or so. Two questions:

1. I'm coming North from Montréal, QC, and I usually take the narrow

road between Smuggler's Notch and Stowe to get to Mt. Mansfield. This

road is usually closed in winter. Is it currently open? If not, when

is it due to open?

2. What conditions are to be expected on Mt Mansfield in early May?

I've never been there so early in season and I wonder if winter

conditions still prevail up there in the arctic zone. Is there ground

snow? Are the paths still icy? If the temperature below freezing point?

<p style="text-indent: 3ex; margin-top: 0">

Road closure information for Vermont is posted at <a href="http://www.511vt.com">www.511vt.com</a>.  According to that web site, route 108 is "Closed due to deep snow and packed snow - until 5:00 PM, 05/10/04"

</p>

<p style="text-indent: 3ex; margin-top: 0">

I don't know what conditions are like this year, but there is usually still snow on top of Mount Mansfield in early May.  Snow on trails ⇒ ice on trails.  Spring temperatures are highly variable from one day to the next.  Get a local weather forecast before you go, and don't be afraid to turn back if you encounter conditions beyond what you have prepared for.

</p>

I live in Jericho, VT and can see MT Mansfield from my back yard. There is very little snow left on the mountain. Although they say there might be a little tonight !! I would be surprised if the Smugglers Notch Road was closed right now. They may still have a small road block up, but you can usually drive around it. I have done so many times. Temps are supposed to climb to around 70 by Friday, so I don't think you will have any problems. I doubt there will be any snow.

Thanks for the quick answer. I know that the toll road to the summit is closed until June 15 or so, but what about the Gondola service in the Stowe ski resort? There is a pregnant woman in our party and climbing all the way to the top is out of question, but following the crest line would be OK. I believe that the short way (it's steep, I know, I've been there several times in summer) between the Gondola station and the crest would be OK for her.