Stop-Down Metering with FL Lens on AE-1 Program

joseph_wei

I'm trying out a FL 50mm f/1.2 lens on my Canon AE-1 Program. I know

that the A-series cameras do support stop-down metering with FL

lenses, but the instruction manual is very vague on how to actually

take a meter reading with these lenses using the DOF preview lever.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

JW

I just read through the manual and it seams very clear to me how to do this both with the shutter button turning on the meter and the exposure perview switch.

For normal stop down metering

1. Press in the stop down lever until it locks (Black button to right side of lens below exposure perview and back lite buttons)

2. Make sure that the shutter speed is not set to Program

3. While pressing the shutter button (1/2 way down to turn on the meter) turn the aperture ring until the stopped down metering index (a small black square next to the f5.6 mark) and the F5.6 show in the display

In the display when you have the correct meter setting at the top of the display you will have the letter M for manual in the middle of the display you wil have a small square or rectangle with the F stop display for F5.6 just to the right of it. When this happens you will have the correct setting use the shutter speed dial and the aperture ring to achieve this.

4. Press the shutter button all the way down to shoot.

Notes:

1. You can't use stopped down metering when the shutter speed dial is set to Program.

2. You can use the exposure preview switchand turn the shutter speed until the little square and f5.6 appear in your viewfinder.

Hope this helps but page 57 of the AE-1Program manual is all the stuff ZI mentioned.

On A and T-series cameras, does the stop-down setting actually contact the main lever on the lens and push it over, thus stopping down the lens to the aperture you've set? IF there is no actual mechanical linkage necessary for a stop-down reading, the possibility is open for using any other lens in the stop down mode via an adapter (Pentax screw, Zeiss Jena, Leica R, Nikkor). Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't have an A or T to look at right now.

Although I don�t have an �A� series handy to recheck the procedure I use on my T90. I�m sure both series (�A� & �T�) are the same.<p>As soon as you push in the stop down lever it pushes against a pin on the lens that stops down the lenses aperture. Thus the amount of light hitting the metering cell changes. This gives you your stopped down reading.

I tried using stop down metering with a normal FDn 50mm f/1.4 lens mounted on my AE-1P (even though the instruction manual advised not to). Meter readings in the stop-down mode differed from the regular (open-aperture) readings by 2 or 3 stops (overexposed)! However, using a FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC (silver breech lock) in stop-down mode on my old A-1 gave readings that were equal or within 1/2 a stop (over or under) of that camera's regular meter results. Is there something wrong with my AE-1P, or are the "new FD" lenses just not able to be used in stop-down mode?

JW

Now you've got me curious too. What would cause the difference in meter reading? I can't understand why the camera would meter differently just because there was an older breech-lock version of a lens attached (all other things being equal)? As far as I know, the camera doesn't know the difference between breech-lock and bayonet mount...

Stephen,

Match-needle metering is a metering system where the user lines up a movable needle inside a a movable ring or bracket in the viewfinder. The needle and ring are seperately coupled to either the shutter-speed dial on the camera or the aperture ring on the lens. The whole system is also linked to a built-in exposure meter. You get the "correct" (according to the meter) exposure when you line up the needle and the ring by turning either the shutter-speed dial, the aperture ring, or a combination of the two.

JW