sticky shutter decaying bumper.

waite_watson

<p> How many model designations of Canon EOS cameras were affected by the well known,decaying shutter bumper/sticky goo on the shutter blades problem? I have both a an EOS Elan (Eos 100? original one) and a Canon rebel X s (film) that have this problem. Good cameras otherwise. Is there a home fix? 0r are they junk? I tryed lighter fluid & a Q tip to remove it from the blades but it came right back. any suggestions? They're not wroth a professional fix based on the other cameras I have. What do I do? Junk 'em & throw 'em in the trash? Put them Ebay & play dumb (dishonest & wont do for principal) or?....is there an or?</p>

<p>Common problem for the EOS 10S as well. I was able to clean my Elan (early 90s vintage) albeit it took a dozen sessions over several weeks with lighter fluid. The reason it took several weeks is I thought I fixed it but it came back but eventually I got it all. It soldiered on for many years thereafter. Now I use a Nikon FM3A for my occasional rustic film moods and it seems to be nearly indestructible.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>To do it properly you have to get the remains of the shutter bumper out from the bottom left of the shutter using strips of paper soaked in alcohol - I've done it a number of times, its not too difficult.<br>

Look here:<a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00EopI"> http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00EopI</a><br>

and here:

I think all the earlier bodies will develop the problem.</p>

<p>We used to talk about this pretty regularly around here. Not so much anymore. I haven't done one in a few years, but I do recall it taking some time and a lot of patience. Eventually you get it all, and it seems to work fine after that. This fix is certainly not complicated, just boring.</p>

<p>I don't recall any A2/EOS5 shutters doing this, or any of the other higher end cameras. But then I never could afford those, so perhaps I just never noticed. I don't remember any of the EOS 6xx series with this issue either. I mostly remember 7xx series, 10s and Elan with the problem. </p>

<p>I bought an EOS A2 new n 1992 and sold it in 2007. It never developed the goo problem. Nor did my EOS 3 which was 10 years old when I sold it. Both my Elan and 10S got the goo disease after 4 or 5 years...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter