sticky rubber on palm door on EOS 1-N

d._david_young

I have an EOS 1-N. The rubber grip on the palm door, which is the flip open door that

hides the motor drive button options, etc., has gotten sticky to the point where it sticks to

my hand and fingers; when touched it sticks to whatever and lifts up with it. I live in

Hawaii where apparently this is one of the only places where it happens with our humidity

plusperspiration from our hands.

My question: has anyone ever encountered this and what are the solutions short of taking

it to Canon for repair; this is a large repair as the top of the camera has to be removed to

take off the door; they told me this! I have scraped the sticky rubber with fingernail and

white stuff comes off and seem to help to take some of the stickiness! Your feed-back

appreciated. thank you.

I too live in Hawaii but haven't had any problems with my old 1N or 3. However, my

A2 suffered from sticky grip. I removed the grip and used alcohol and a lot of rubbing

to remove the sticky goo. So it's now a plain plastic grip. Not too pretty but works

fine.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The goo is a result of the chemical breakdown of the grip finish. The rubber-like coating

turns to goo and is a bitch to remove without damaging the underlying plastic grip or door.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter