Sticking Gitzo tripod collar - help

andrew_storey

<p>Hi all,<br>

I own a Gitzo G1127 MK2 carbon fiber tripod, which consists of three leg sections. I recently went on a three-day backpack trip on the Washington coast, thereby subjecting my tripod to salty air. Although it was never submerged in ocean water, it has developed a problem since that trip. All sections slide freely, but I am not able to rotate one of the twist collars. This effectively turns it into a two-section tripod. Any suggestions for loosening-up the collar? Would a lubricant or cleaner potentially work its way into the collar to help loosen things up if I sprayed it directly? Or, does this mean I need to replace the entire three-section leg? Suggestions?<br>

Thanks for your wisdom.<br>

Andrew</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No responses from Gitzo gurus it seems. I've dealt with other collars, and would suggest as a first step finding some big pliers like water pump pliers. Get a leather, cardboard or other pad to protect the appearance of the collar, and try loosening it with the pliers. You can then disassemble, clean and lubricate it as needed. Nothing to lose if the alternative is replacing the whole leg. I suspect that a piece of grit or something got in, preventing the collar from rotating freely, and it might come loose all at once and be all right.</p>

<p>The collars are threaded to the upper section. Apply a little penetrating oil to the threads from the top. Let it soak an hour and try again to turn the collar. Once you get it off, clean oil from all the parts with mineral spirits, followed by a damp, soapy cloth. Rinse and dry everything. (Oil will cause the bushings to swell, and make opening and collapsing the legs very stiff.) Use a Q-tip to clean the threads of both the legs and collars.</p>

<p>You can use a little white grease on the collar threads. Use a Q-tip to apply the grease. You should not see any excess - the film should be nearly invisible.</p>

<p>Bogen/Manfrotto will recondition Gitzo tripods for about $100 (the last time I checked). There may be an exchange program if the damage is too great. The only parts I've needed to replace were the bushings. A complete set is under $20. I don't recommend using a wrench. If it doesn't come apart by hand, send it in.</p>

<p>Grease will protect the threads (aluminum) against salt water for a long time. Keep the joints out of the sand - always fully extend the lowest section in sand or mud. Hose it down with fresh water when you get back. Clean and lubricate the threads</p>