Stick a D700 on a pole.....?

andy_chubb

<p>Hi,<br>

was photographing a space hopper world record attempt at the weekend, and to try to get some shots from a different angle, I put a super clamp on the end of an aluminium painters pole and (together with a metal lanyard for security), attached my D700 and 18-35 to the superclamp via a metal stud to the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera.<br>

I hoisted the rig over the bouncers and pointed the lens downwards, triggering the shutter with a wired remote release. Got a good percentage of sharp, wide-angled pictures of happy people bouncing.<br>

But....the D700 did slacken a bit on the stud, causing the camera/lens to not be pointing ideally where I wanted it to be.<br>

The question is - any suggestions for the best method for hoisting a fairly heavy camera/lens combo in the air, but doing it securely and solidly????<br>

andyc</p>

<p>If you want to do this on a regular basis, look into the jib arms used in movie and video work. Jimmy Jib is a popular model. A jib is basically a long pole that attaches to a heavy tripod, with one end counterbalanced with weights. They can go 10, 15, maybe 20 feet in the air. They ae usually used with a "hot head" pan head that lets you pan and tilt remotely, using the video output from the camera attached to a monitor on the ground to see what you're doing. Ones built to hold heavy movie cameras are expensive and definitely overkill for a D700. But if you look at some of the lower cost models that would be considered flimsy by movie/video standards you might find something more affordable that does the job. And of course you can always rent.</p>

<p>Manfrotto makes a camera base plate(let's see if I can find a model number on one of the ones I have...ahhh, here it is: #143). Attach the #143 to the superclamp by the stud, and the camera by the #143's camera baseplate screw. You may want to add a small ball and socket head between the camera and the #143 in order to orient the camera exactly the way you want. Or, there are various orientable extensions that go between the superclamp and the #143...it may be more expense that it's worth--but it can be done. Of course, all this adds weight, which at the end of a pole, increases wobble and instability.</p>

<p>I used to mount cameras on backboards, plane wings, race cars all the time. I used super clamps like you did , but then used gaffers tape (not duct tape) to hold the camera in place. I used to call it 100mph tape. You can get a roll of black, 2 in. gaffers tape, and you are good to go. (Gaffers leaves no residue and is stronger than duct tape).</p>

<p>I use <a href="http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=447">this gadge</a>t to mount things to Shur-Line paint poles sometimes. I use <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/307472-REG/Manfrotto_208HEX_208HEX_Head_Mounting_Plate.html">this gadget</a> with a <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546356-REG/Manfrotto_035RL_035RL_Super_Clamp_with.html">Manfrotto super clamp</a> for mounting a ball head or pano head (no pano head on paint poles, though). Sometimes I use <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313039-REG/Manfrotto_155_155_Double_Ball_Joint.html">this gizmo</a> with a super clamp to mount a camera, but it's kinda heavy.</p>

<p>Guys - thanks for your response - I'm not planning on doing this too regularly, but will probably invest in a baseplate (non QR) at some point.<br>

I should have mentioned that I am in the Old World and was delighted to find that my purchase of a Kacey Pole adapter last year needed some serious grinding/adapting of my UK paint pole as the threads here are bigger.....fine for a flashgun, but I wouldn't like to risk my camera on it at any great height =:<><br>

andyc</p>