Steve Meisel in the new Vogue Italy

jeffery_pool

I wonder what Meisel's thoughts were? I wonder what he was trying to say? It is conceivable

that his actions were well intended but, personally, I think it comes across as crass and in

dubious taste.

I wonder if there will be a sequel where models, in haute couture, amputate limbs in a field

hospital?

Good taste bad taste I don't know but look at the credits and see how many people were involved in this photo shoot. The budget must have been enormous, it makes one wonder how much input the photographer has in the proceedings when it gets to this level.

Steve

From a marketing point of view it could be a home run. From the political side in France, ho hum. We would not see that type advertising here. Very complex shooting with all the spices geared towards that age group. I didn't think the French had soldiers active in the war, interesting. What are your thoughts Jeffery?

If the shoot was to illustrate what every GI in theater dreams about every night after being in the sandbox for a year, then it's probably right on.

Statement? Maybe there's a statement in there for someone, but it's lost on me. Since nobody on earth - hopefully - reads Vogue to get a sense of the world around them it's just one more artsy fartsy photo shoot that a handful of people will ever see. It's as thought provoking as an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.

<i>"Top Gun" as an anti-war statement... oh please! I'm really not quite sure how to take that statement. I just hope you were being facetious."</i>

<p>Tarantino definitely 'nailed' what Top Gun was really about...</p>

<p> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111218/quotes </p>

<p>That Meisel Vogue stuff is just another camp fantasy take on the same theme.</p>

<p>Hey Andrew. Saw you on the telly tonight doing that On/Off invite shoot :-)</p>

Hi Kentish Lamb.

Only caught 20 mins of the programme because my two daughters (22 & 15) wanted to laugh at the models and the luvvies (mwah mwah) and the stupid hats.

You came over fine, very pro, very workaday, very practical. The rest of the prog was all about a bunch of idiots and self-image obsessed posers who seemed to be stuck in some 1980s sub ab-fab timewarp. (Unless there had been some clever editing by someone who hates the fashion world.)

Yes daughters (and wife). They control what is on TV. I was just sitting there on the computer and heard "Andrew Lamb fashion photographer" and turned around to see you photographing a rack of clothes and two pairs of shoes. Then you were working with the clueless 19 year old with her 'props' (gilt frame etc) and being very patient with her. I hope you got paid well.

Got paid bugger all. Also, I was told not to admonish the 19 yeard old for being very late,

even though it was the second time that this had happened.

On a picky note, I don't like being described as a fashion photographer. Fashion is in only a

tiny part of what I do and I think it's mis-leading. Oh, well. It's done now.

I think they were saying "I'm fresh out of groundbreaking ideas, but sh__ guys, we've got this nasty war on, so lets do a fantasy piece where the troops in their off time are all beautiful and let off steam by drinking, and getting partially naked and completely dirty together (in a literal sense)."

I liked the photographs =) but I dont think we'll see them in the Time issue on Iraq..

Andrew will you sign my rollei? I mean since you're a fashion photographer and all =)

Cheers,

Colin