the 67 mm filters is only very slightly less than the B60 filters,

and cost about 1/3 to 1/4 the price. The camera store insisted that

they are the same quality and would give me the same performance as

the b+w or hassy B60 filters. Is there any reason that this would

not be the case? (I am shooting just 80 and 120 mm lenses at this

point). If not, why would anyone waste there money buying the B60

filters?

Anthony,

We waste money "because" we are Hassy users. ;-)

Seriously though, with an adapter the filter is further from the front of the lens which could, in a backlighted condition, contribute more flair. Secondly, if you only have one adapter then it takes longer to change a filter since you have to unscrew the one and screw on the second. Bayonet mount filters are nice because they change so fast.

But practically speaking you shouldn't have any problems and you can get a kick out of having saved some bucks. Maybe you can buy some film!

Cheers,

Thanks. I will keep a watchfull eye for flair, but it's something that i've never had much problem with so far. yes, i agree the 67's comparitively can be a pain to change, but on the other hand i have found lense caps that not only fit on the polarizer (which you can't do, i think with a B60 polarizer), but also are easier to remove on all filters when using shades, which i find to be a big plus.

Here's a special case. To use Tiffen warm polarizer, the 67mm + b60-> 67mm adapter works much better than their B60 version. The issue is

in the width of the ring. The Tiffen B60 polarizer has a very very thin mounting ring, that makes it very difficult to attach (to "screw" on) to the lens. The better way is to have an adapter dedicated to the filter (~$26). It works much more naturally.

As far as the flare, this is a new but good point to me.