Stefan Rohner - how???

oleg k

I'm sorry, John, but that's not what i'm looking for. By tones i meant the midtones, not the color. I was talking about Stefan Rohner's B/W images. Russel Browns is a good stuff for beginners, he actually seems lame to me :) most of what he shows can be done so much easier.

Oleg Kikin , feb 16, 2005; 01:46 p.m.

Does anybody know how Stefan Rohner achieves such tones and textures in his images?

Hello Oleg,

very very strange, I never ever look in the forums, today I took a look in the people photography forum :) and.......

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=352030

the photos in this folder are negative scans and some D100 pictures, I dont scan negatives anymore, the tones and textures are not the same as a paper print scan, scans from prints are coming out much better and it is much more fun to make own prints in the dark room :) if these pictures are toned I made the toning in PS.

the first Morocco folder is done in 2003 and all pictures are made with Nikon D100.

the "peace of mind folder" negative scans and toning in PS, I should scan my prints from this work and change the photos one day, the prints look much better...

imaginary world's (prints on paper) "classic art" paper (done by forte) selenium toner

"prints on paper" folder, all photos are scans from prints, there is NO toning in PS, for the "brown" ones I use sulphite toner, the others are done with agfa mcc111 and agfa warmtone developer, the once with more green tones are done with Moersch Meritol or Moersch Warm. http://www.moersch-photochemie.de

I only use Kodak trix 400ASA, the 35mm film I expose at 400ASA, the 120mm most of the time at 200ASA. I develop my films with Kodak D76

200ASA 10min 1+1

there is no secret, just drak room work in this folder.

"Lourdes (France) prints on paper" folder, like always Kodak trix 400, a lot of them are push?s to 1600ASA, that?s why the tones there are not so nice...

"Morocco 2004 (scans from prints)" folder, all scans from prints, agfa mcc111 and same thing, or Moersch developer, or Agfa WA...

same thing for the resting two folders.....

I hope it helps... I you have any question, no problem...

best regards Stefan<div>00BCIe-21937784.jpg.83826188db5886c44c98fbbdc8de7300.jpg</div>

Stefan-

I love your work! You give me hope that I can someday achieve great work with my d100. I have decided to go completely digital and am working hard at figuring out how to get the look I want...like film. Do you shoot a lot with your d100 now? Do you swear by your histogram? Can you offer any tips with photoshop that give the great look in your shots?

Thank you!

@Oleg,

you should read better ;) in my first chapter I wrote that the photos in this folder are, or D100 pictures or scans from negatives :)

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=352030

all other photos here at photonet are prints on paper, the Lourdes series on plastic paper, all other on agfa fibre paper mcc111.

Oleg, there is NO doubt, a scan from print is MUCH better then a negative scan.

William,

thank you very much.

I worked 1 year with Nikon D100, the results in b/w to me are not the same, a digital print out of a machine does not reach the same textures and greyscale information then a hand made print on fibre paper "baryt". that?s why I don?t use the D100 anymore... before only converted to greyscale in PS and pushed the contrast, nothing else. you can see the images here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=368489

best regards Stefan