Status densitometry

From X-rite website, found via Google search:

Status A:ANSI PH2.18, densitometer response. This is the accepted standard for reflection densitometers for measuring photographic color print.

Status E:A densitometer response which is theaccepted standard in Europe for color reflection densitometers.

Status I:A densitometer response commonly referred toas narrow band or interference-type response.

Status T:Wide band color reflection densitometer response which is the accepted standard in the United States for color reflection densitometers.

Dan, thanks for your response. I was aware of most of that but a couple of things you wrote gave me some clues.

I'm actually trying to find out what the LETTERS actually stand for. Your response about Status I being "interference" response probably means that I=interference.

Your answer about Status E being a "European" standard perhaps answers that question, E=European?

I have heard from a usually reliable source that M might stand for "Mask" since it is used for color negative films that have an orange mask.

Many years ago, when 16mm Kodachrome was popular, we used Status K filters in our densitometers. I have always understood that K=Kodachrome, but maybe not.

Another reliable source told me that the "A" in Status A may mean "analytical".

Since T is a wideband response used in the graphic arts industry, perhaps it stands for "tungsten" - but that's just a guess.

I figured that if anybody would know, then X-rite, the densitometer manufacturer, would know. I got an e-mail back indicating that that they had no clue.

I believe that all or most status densitometer filters are used for both transmission and reflection.

Here in the Motion Picture business, we currently use only Status A and M. A for film intended for direct viewing without an orange mask, and M for materials like original negs and interpositives and dupe negs that do have the orange mask.