State of the SLR - 1957

Not sure which issue (but I think it was Popular Photography), Keppler tells about his first SLR camera (a 120 Korelle, IIRC). He told of how he made extra money by selling photos of school events to his classmates (I think it was at a military academy or similar). The article even included a picture or two including one of his mother. Not sure of the year or month, but it was a really good article.

The SLR was coming, although even Keppler had some doubts. I like this bit in the Contaflex review: "Professionals and advanced amateurs may feel the LVS system to be unnecessary".

In Varden's column, we learn that Ampex officials declared that videotape would never replace film for TV purposes. I feel relieved.

Thnaks for posting these, Marc.

Thanks.

As always the "experts" tend towrd the conservative side of what they "know".

In the transition to the SLR and later to the dSLR, the chorus, sometimes even from Burt Keppler, was "it will take a long time before our beloved old "X" is replaced".

I also remember the "Apple ][ forever" transition. :rolleyes:

Which-SLR--1957-09-USC_Page_1.thumb.jpg.90ac732fdf08acc1253efffb2c4ac530.jpg

US Camera 1957-09

Edited by JDMvW

A more up to date example of the blindness of prophets is in the 25 December 1999 - 1 January 2000 issue of the Amateur Photographer. Towards the end of a review of the 35mm system, the author states "The real threat to 35mm is that, with the makers' help and support, most 35mm users will migrate to APS"!

Still vexed about that! Have a very nice and capable Canon Elph that did all sorts of tricks -- died with the film. I even have a few unexposed rolls left, but as far as I can tell, even if they were still good, no one develops them. If I recall, Agfa had something similar earlier version that suffered the same fate. At least I didn't get caught in that one.