Star trails/Milky Way w/d750-lens?

Renee Shipley

Hello, I am looking for lens recommendations for star/milky way work with my d750. Or, do I need another lens at all? I have the 24-120 that came with the body as well as the 18-35/f3.5-4.5. I'm not sure that's a fast enough choice but that is the focal length range I would want.

I'd like to be able to zoom (though I'll use a prime as well), and I've read the 14-24 Nikkor is an excellent choice for this work, however it's not so excellent a choice for the wallet. What other options do I have?

Your 18-35 lens will be fine. Shoot at 18mm f/3.5. Focus at infinity (remember where infinity is on your lens or mark/tape the location). Bring a red flash light. Find a pretty foreground if available. Where applicable, "paint" the foreground (if it's pretty) a bit with your flash light (use regular flash light unless you want something surreal).

There are a lot of tutorials available, just Google: Here is one (link). Another link. You will find more.

Have fun!

Edited by Mary Doo

You really don't have the lenses for it, unless you are using an iOptron etc. The best low cost choice is a Samyang 14mm f2.8. I use the Nikon 20mm f1.8G (for now.) Another good choice is the Samyang 24mm f1.4, depending on what you want to do.

Kent in SD

Renee, using a faster lens than f/3.5 is nice if you plan to spend the money.

However, you can use your kit lens @f/3.5 to do it. As mentioned, there are a lot of links regarding this topic on the net. Here's one using a your 18-35mm kit lens (link). Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings from Texas.

I use the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 with a D750 and it works pretty good for Milky Way. I haven't shot start trails yet.

You should be ok with your 18-35, just keep your shutter speed to < 30 seconds at f3.5.

I'm thinking about going to the Tokina 15-30 for a little more versatility.