Standard print sizes from PSCS2 - possible?

Ok -

I've searched the forums and found nothing on this...I've also read through

several PS books with no resolution. I'm certain it will become very clear

that I am quite new to PS image processing, so please be paitient.

Here goes:

At just about any time in the past 30 years, I could go into a darkroom,

(either mine or otherwise), pick up an easel, set the blades to, say 11X14,

and place a 16X20 sheet of paper in the easel. I could then print an 11X14

image on a 16x20 sheet of paper. Not a difficult thing to do, even in the

dark. ;)

I'm beginning to wonder - is it even possible to print a standard size image

from PS?

My most recent attempt and an 8X10 image sized out at 6.891X10 at a resolution

of 360dpi. I'm really getting irritaed by having to work with image sizes like

this when all I want is a simple 8X10 on an 11X14 canvas - or an 11X14 on

16X20, a 16X20 on 20X24, etc. This issue is making image presentation very

difficult as I use standard sized mat boards with standard sized windows for

fine-art gallery framed and bin-art sales.

FWIW, I'm working Canon 20D RAW files (8.2mp) and scans of postives and

negatives. The prints are made at a local pro-lab.

Thanks in advance -

Bill, the Crop Tool will do what you want. If you look under Cropping Methods in the Help file you will see what it looks like - a pair of opposed set-squares. You can fix the height and width in inches, and the required ppi for the print. Then you draw the crop area over the image and hit Enter. There is a lot more that you can do with it, of course.

Best,

Helen

<p>When you resize the image, either using the crop tool or through the menus, you can specify exactly what dimensions and resolution you want. So if you want an 8x10 at 360 ppi, you can get that. To print it on a larger canvas, you can increase the size of the canvas to whatever size you want, and again, you get to specify exactly what the size should be, as well as how the original image should be placed in it.</p>

<p>So yes, it's entirely possible. I'm not certain what you're doing wrong. If you want an 8x10 at 360 ppi, you're going to have to crop to get the 4:5 aspect ratio (the 20D's is 3:4, like most other DSLRs), and also resize, since at 360 ppi, the 20D's native resolution works out to only 6.49x9.73". You can do this in one step using the crop tool (specify both dimensions and the resolution and it will automatically do the right thing), or if you prefer to choose your own resampling method rather than letting the crop tool do it for you, then give the crop tool the dimensions but leave the resolution blank, and follow that up by resizing the image. To print an 8x10 on an 11x14 canvas, you need to add 1.5" to each side and 2" top and bottom; expand the canvas by those amounts.</p>

"To print an 8x10 on an 11x14 canvas, you need to add 1.5" to each side and 2" top and bottom; expand the canvas by those amounts."

That's OK if you are sending files to a lab (which is relevant to this question), but is it worth mentioning that if you are doing the printing yourself you would do that in the printer driver rather than by expanding the canvas?

Best, Helen

Helen,

In general, you cannot set an exact print size in a printer, just margins. If you want to print with a border, it's simpler to crop the image, then set the canvas size to whatever the final size will be, and print to an exact size (rather than "print to fit") in the print dialogue.

I have to question the fiscal sense in paying for such a large print (commercially, about $10 ft^2), mostly borders, when it's much cheaper and just as effective to mount the print and matte it for framing. If you want a borderless, matted print, you would use only the crop tool, not the canvas size. (Photoshop 101).

Edward,

"In general, you cannot set an exact print size in a printer, just margins. If you want to print with a border, it's simpler to crop the image, then set the canvas size to whatever the final size will be, and print to an exact size (rather than "print to fit") in the print dialogue."

I was only referring to setting the borders using the printer, not the image size. Many print systems do allow you to set the exact print size as well, however.

It's not a big issue though. Two very similar, easy ways of doing the same thing.

Best, Helen