Standalone flash versus power pack systems

tony_doucet

I am looking for an electronic flash system for a studio, and I am wondering about the choice between standalone flash units and systems which have a single power pack that drives several flash heads.

It seems that, for an equivalent amount of light output (say four heads at 1000w/s max each), the standalones are cheaper, even for "top of the market" brands of standalones. The difference in cost becomes even greater if you consider "bargain brands" like white lightning. It also appears that the standalone units, top of the market or bargain, have a full slate of capabilities and accessories. So the question is: what am I missing? What are the reasons that people choose power pack systems over standalones?

• 1 month later...

The answer to your question is power. The power packs with multiple heads have a lot of power capability. I have used both types of lights the monopods and the power packs. The monopods are convenient because they are small and easily portable but the power packs have more power (faster recycling time).

The power packs have cables which run to each head which means that you have cables all over the floor depending on how many heads you have. If you are doing variations on your lighting you have to physically move the lights or change the power to each head. A monopod with a intensity control (slide switch, rotary dial, remote control) means you don't have to move the monopod only change the power setting.

The power packs can be set to recycle fast or slow. The recycling time depends on the number of heads and the power settings but the power packs are still fast. I was doing an experiment one day and had my light meter (minolta IV) set up to trigger the power pack. I was getting a half second recycle time on the power pack with the same desired f stop time after time. The monopods are going to be around 1 to 1.5 seconds (or more) for a similar setup. With the monopod you must wait long enough for it to charge up if you don't you may be losing a stop.

The power packs are nice if you have a consistent setup where you don't have to change anything around after each shot. The quick recycle time of the power packs is great if you consider the following scenario. You take a picture of an individual and then the person relaxes you can take another picture right away before they tense up again. With the monopod you would have to wait longer to take another shot giving the person more time to tense up again.

<p>

These are some of my observations and are strictly my opinions.

<p>

monopods

-easily portable, one dies you can still keep going, not as fast recycling time, very convenient.

<p>

power packs

-heavy, harder to vary lighting quickly, works great for fixed lighting situations or envolved lighting, lots of power, quick recyling, power pack stops you stop shooting.