Stand Developing C41 film in B&W chemistry

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by imsphotos, Sep 25, 2018.

  1. Stand 2ndTest_011024.jpg That's the second test roll just done. I used the same process as before except added 1 cc more of developer (up from 5 cc to 6) and extended both stand sessions by 5 minutes (i.e. 35 min > Agitate >35). I also shot at ISO 160 rather than box speed of 200. The negatives were easy to see/cut this time. The histograms appeared to show that increasing shooting exposure was not required but that the extra developer / time helped significantly. All 24 shots were quite acceptable for my testing purposes to will keep the processing the same but revert to shooting at box speed. Here is the first shot from the film, taken on bright but overcast day at Stonehaven Harbour
     
  2. @ imsphotos -- You get my endorsement and a tip of the hat from Alan Marcus. Well done, a good clear report.
     
    imsphotos likes this.
  3. Thanks Marcus, here is another one of the 24 shots as described above. Crab claw and Rope. Stand 2ndTest_16_1024.jpg
     
  4. Has nobody else noticed the halo effect of developer 'drag' adjacent to areas of low density? Such as around the perimeter of every frame, and the treeline and ventilation funnel in the quayside shot.

    This is typical of stand development using marginal dilutions of developer, and is OK if that's an effect you can tolerate. I think that most people would find it objectionable though.
     
  5. Nikkormat_01_01_01_1024.jpg

    Nikkormat_08_01_01_1024.jpg After the above 'second test' I was quite happy to move to using this process, with my 'surplus' c41 film with cameras I was testing for real. Not withstanding some reservations about absolute image quality the process is clearly fine for what I require. I did however make another modest increase in the developer concentration which resulted in the two shots below, taken on Nikomat with 500 f1.4 Nikkor. These were taken in dimly lit interior (one with very strong backlight) of Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre (Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre). I will stick with this procedure for now. Summary of now established process for Agfa Vista C41 'Semi Stand' developed in Ado F39II:

    8cc developer to 492 cc water at room temp (18deg) , 1 min agitation then stand for 35 min then agitate for 1 min, then second stand for 35min. Tap water rinse to STOP. Normal Fix, Wash and Rinse
     
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. This is a very interesting thread, and an interesting technique. I've been reluctant to use colour film for some time now, due to the absence of local processing outlets.
    I wonder, though, whether the film, once developed in B&W process, can thereafter be reprocessed in colour? I seem to recall some such discussion, from years ago.
     
  7. There is, somewhere, a Kodak report on how to do it.

    After developing as black and white, you have to convert the developed silver back to bromide, then ordinary color development will work.

    You will still have the orange mask, though, so it isn't easy to print the black and white negative.
    I think that was in the days when Panalure was still in production, in which case you use that.
    Also, it should have the right contrast to go with the low gamma of such films.
     
  8. VR1000-AA025.jpg

    This is from a roll of VR1000 that I developed in, I believe, HC-110.

    It had been stored less than optimally, especially for a high-speed film.

    There is a lot of fog, either due to poor storage or overdevelopment, as I didn't really
    know how long to give it. If you look at the negatives, they almost look all black,
    until you look closer. You don't see the orange mask.

    Next time I have some to do, I might try stand. But mostly I try to use not so old
    film, and real C41 processing.
     
  9. I'm just adding a few more shots, using the same template as the previous set except these were from a cassette of about 20 year OOD Kodak Gold. You can see how the image quality has degraded and shows a lot more grain compared to the In Date Agfa Vista submitted above, but still quite usable for my camera testing purposes. This time shot on a vintage Pentax MV … so fully automatic aperture priority exposure.

    Pent MV-07_01_01_1024.jpg
    Pent MV-09_01_01_1024.jpg
    Pent MV-11_01_01_1024.jpg
     
  10. Old thread.
    What is the information on Ilford 3 and stand development times for the Kodacolor and Ektacolor. Thanks
     
  11. No idea for Ilfosol, but if I am not mistaken, not a developer particularly suited to stand development.
    Since I used to have a pile of expired C41 film, I used to use Rodinal 1:100 with stand development for 1 hour for test shots. It rendered grainier results than the OP has posted, but for testing purposes good enough to understand if a camera is working correctly. Rodinal is cheap enough and has pretty much infinite shelf-life, so useful to keep around for purposes like this one.

    Personally, if I had quality films (Ektacolor for sure), I wouldn't go down this road, but rather just get them properly developed.
     
  12. Thank you very much for sharing!
     

Share This Page