St. Edmundsbury Cathedral Wedding....

msoskil

My sister is getting married in August in St. Edmundsbury Cathedral

in Ipswich (I think) in England. Has anyone shot a wedding there

before? She has someone else shooting the formal portraits outside,

but asked me to shoot candids of the ceremony inside the cathedral.

Do they allow flash? What type of flash/lighting will I need? I'll

be using my D70 with either a 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 (there's a chance

I might pick up some type of 28-75mm 2.8 before then). I also have

the kit lens for a wider angle, but I find that I'm more comfortable

with a longer focal length for this type of work. Any suggestions

about the site are welcomed.

Second question, but I figure'd I'd throw it out here. I usually shoot JPGs with the D70, but since it's my sister's wedding I was thinking of shooting JPG+NEF. I've got 2 512 cards and a 256. When shooting in the field (most of my work is landscape/nature) I back up to a portable 20 GB hard drive. Can I get away with switching cards, or should I pick up a 1 Gb (or 2GB) card?

First, I'd suggest you need to talk to the photograther shooting this to make sure you don't create a problem. You could be blind-sided to find out that his contract gives him 'exclusive' rights, and if you start taking pictures, he could just pack up and leave (not likely, but depends on the contract and how ummm pissy he wants to be about it).

So, I'd get his number from the B&G and ring him up. Explain first that your mission is NOT to replace what he's doing (especially regarding the portraits), but to capture other informal shots at the B&G's request. Then, ask him how you can work together. If he reacts nicely (you can hope), you can ask him some leading questions. If he doesn't react nicely or points out that his contract precludes this, it's good to know that BEFORE the event, and you can tell the B&G.

Or, you could just ignore it (at least ask the B&G to make sure there's nothing in their contract with the photog that will make it a problem), and go to the rehearsal. Of go there on your own time. Or, ring up the person officiating to ask them about whether you can or not use flash.