ST-E2 the only game in town?

charles_lipton

I'm setting up a small studio in the garage. I use a 5D and have the 550EX and

580EX flashes. I've been reading up on wireless transmitters and triggering

flashes remotely. It seems all I can find that will trigger EOS flash units is

the ST-E2. Are there other options? Perhaps another wireless transmitter that

works with EOS Speedlights?

Any of the top of the line EX Speedlites acts as master as well, but you know that. You might

find an old 550EX for cheaper than a ST-E2. You could use a PC cord if you don't mind

manual power settings.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hot shoe adapter for a pc cord, with just about any wireless transmitter/receiver combo will

work. I have three 580's, and recently installed 1/8" jacks on them so I can plug pocket

wizards directly into them. I just sold my ST-E2 because of the poor outdoor performance. It

works fine in a room, but not well in bright light.

For manual only there is a cheap solution but caveat emptor <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00NMuT">Cactus</a>. I have seen on this forum mention of a fully compatible wireless trigger 'in development' but I did not keep the link - this would obviously be a reverse engineered competitor. I did not find it in a quick search of the archives.

I wish Canon would release and update to the ST-E2 that supports 3 groups.

I have 4 580EX speedlights, and I would like to get away with a heavy flash and flip bracket on camera. It would give me a little more freedom.

Canon, are you listening?

-Mario

Actually, the macro flashes MT-24EX and MR-14EX can also act as masters, just for completeness, but that's not relevant for what Charles wants to do. What's your problem over using the ST-E2, Charles? Works fine in a studio setup apart from the limitation of not having a background Group C, but other then that it gives full wireless control. If you need Group C, you'll have to use an actual flash as the master.

Honestly. . .I have problem imagining controlling three groups. The flashes in the third group are probably better off fired in manual control. . .and once set to manual, they can be in "A" or "B" group.

But. . .the AF support pattern for the ST-E2 was geared towards the old EOS-3, and won't support the veritcal or diagonal AF points of many newer EOS cameras. So an update is in order.

What Jim said. For studio use, which is what you say you need, Charles, there's no problem at all with the ST-E2, and I don't see why in that situation you would need to use the AF beam anyhow. It's only coverage of some peripheral focusing points at fairly wide-angle settings (remember, the AF beam doesn't zoom, although there are two different ones on some devices) that shows up any differences between AF beam coverage, seldom a big deal.

Charles, that should be fine, with just one caveat. If you don't want any on-camera flash and set the master to OFF (so that it acts only as a controller) you will still get a low-power trigger flash from it during exposure. Normally that doesn't matter because it is swamped by the effect of the slaves, but it can produce catchlights in eyes and specular reflections from shiny objects. Only the IR part of the spectrum is actually needed for signalling, and the ST-E2 does not produce any significant level of visible light, but actual flashes don't have that option.