SRT101

<p>Finally got a SRT101, long time coming, but now I have one! Back in the day I was a confirmed Pentax Spotmatic user and turned my nose up at the new fangled SRT with it's pansy full aperture metering...I mean..who needs it?<br>

In the seventies (yes I'm that old) when I was using Pentax gear, friends deserted the Asahi camp for the new kid on the block...the SRT101. They raved about the viewfinder, the metering and the Rokkor lenses, but I stayed loyal to Pentax and no Minolta crossed my path until the lovely XE1 arrived. At that time I was using a Leica R3, and must admit that I preferred the Minolta.<br>

Alas, both my Xe's have passed on, leaving me with a few Minolta lenses with no home....enter the SRT.<br>

The black camera I have used here came with a complete overhaul, ready for action, and I must admit that the camera looks and handles great...maybe my friends were right!<br>

The SRT came with a couple of lenses that I didn't have, a 24mm 2.8 and an 85mm 1.7. I already had a 28mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8, 5mm 1.4, 55mm macro, 135mm .8 and a 200mm 3.5...so good range then!<br>

I must admit that I still slightly prefer the handling of the Spotmatic, but the Minolta viewfinder is a definite improvement, as is the metering. Ok. ok, full aperture metering is better! Seems very accurate too, so maybe something in the CLC thing that Minolta made a big deal about way back then.<br>

Very handsome camera too, something about those black seventies SLR's that really float my boat. A little about the lenses, which all seemed to perform really well, which I'm sure is no surprise to readers here. The 50mm 1.4 in my opinion is not quite up to the Takumar, but all the others are equal or better. The two that stood out are the 85 and 24, with the latter being a real cracker in my opinion. The 55 macro is no slouch either.<br>

Anyway here is the camera and a few pics.</p>

<div>00cH98-544568084.jpg.a54dd9e6cb13c0d5276c728173332a0d.jpg</div>

<p>Beautiful camera and nice shots. I remember in the late 1960s that the F4 phantom fighter pilots on my aircraft carrier used the SRT 101 in some of their reconnaisance work. At the time I was debating between the SRT 101, the Pentax Spotmatic, and the newly introduced Leica M4. I ended up with the Leica, last year got a Spotmatic, and still think about the SRT 101, but am reluctant to fall back into the GAS mode. Your photos just add to my anxiety :)</p>

<p>Great captures as usual, <strong>Tony</strong>, from a fine camera. I've long been a fan of Rokkor glass, and your images reinforce my admiration. I've not got the 85mm and it has the reputation of being a excellent performer, your wave pic from this lens being particularly impressive. The Acros/Pyro combination works a treat, as usual. </p>

<p>A BSA Sloper, a lovely single, likely a 600 cc thumper (I'm and old BSA fan, having owned many of them)! Built in the 1920s so about 40 years older than your SRT 101. Both beautiful, both from times gone by. My first SLR was a 101, what a great camera. I'd like to see a photo of that 85/1.7 on that black body, please. Your photos above are very pleasing, as usual.</p>

<p>Really nice set from a lovely camera. I have an SRT also, although the meter follower has become disconnected. The meter itself is still functional and accurate. If I didn't have such a full range of lenses for my Nikkormat and herd of screwmounts, I'd have spent more money on Minolta lenses. The few Rokkors that I have are both as good as it gets (to me).</p>

<p>I always liked the depth-of-field preview switch at the lower left of the lens mount on the 101; as I recall, it also turned the meter off when stopped down, except at the full aperture setting on the lens--a nice way to get around the futsy knurled switch on the bottom of the camera. </p>

<p>That's a nice 101. I wish my 102 were black, but having paid 11 bucks for it with something like 30 bucks' worth of film included, and a 1.4 lens on it, I guess I'd better not complain. </p>

<p>I love this site. I've only run a few rolls through my SRT, and until I read Dennis W's post above, it had not really dawned on me that the odd toggling DOF preview button also toggles the meter. </p>

Neat story sticking to your guns and the Takumars/Spotmatics .. even though they ( Minoltas ) have a few things too! I truly love your wrok and the look you get.. one of these days umm New Years Resolution to use this developer you boys down under are using at least once even if it is cumbersome in my bathroom to manage. Any way again I love the many photos you posted ehre the look of the tangled trees and swirling sand even the quarty veins in the rocks and the bubbly flowing surf. I inherited a Minolta kit and I've been curious to try the an SRT series camera with this legendary CMC or whatever metering