SRT Focus Screen

richard jepsen

I still have a SRT-101 purchased in 1968. Over the years it was upgraded with a

hot shoe and a brighter screen. The SRT-101 is by far my favorite SLR and I'm

willing to spend $$ on it to improve the screen. The installed screen is

brighter than my XE-1 but I wish for a screen similar to the X-700. Has anyone

changed screens in a SRT or knows of a tech who can update the SRT's screen?

Was a late SR-T 303 or equivalent 202 the brightest screen in the SRT

series???? If so, is it the same as the XE-1/XE-7?

All Sr-T screens are fresnel type, versus the later X-series acute matte type screens. After 1980, Minolta changed the Sr-T screen's fresnel lines-per-mm fineness (which should affect brightness) from 18lines/mm to 24lines/mm. A 1973-75 102/303/Super, 1975-78 202/303b/505 or PRE-1980 200/101b or 200/100x would not have these finer fresnel screens. The last post-1980 Sr-t's supposedly have the brightest viewfinders, but it may also be because Minolta deleted the condenser lens and redesigned the eyepiece for these models.

So you could try finding a parts post-1980 Sr-T 201, 101b, 200 or 100x (the MCII and SCII may or may not have the improvements) for their PM screens. These last Sr-T's are the ones with that "funny" shutterspeed knob, the "kicked-up" rewind lever and the serial number in the shoe cover (versus on the shoulder). You would need to verify if the fresnel was indeed the finer type: look for a red mark on the screen's left-hand end edge. The screen sizes for these should be the same as for your 101's.

Exchanging: topcover off, cells & meter leads unsoldered, pentaprism lifted, prism holder left in place, then unclip the old condenser and screen, insert the new screen only, reinstall everything above that. If you wanted to take it a step further, leave out the old condenser (shim to make up), and then substitute the post-1980 white-marked eyepiece.

I do not know if any later Minolta models' screens will work on a Sr-T, believe they're all differently sized.

And, should have made clear that a benefit of this is exchange that these last red-marked screens should all be the type with split-image center (what I meant by the "PM" type). Didn't know if you already have this on your updated screen?

So you already have what sounds like a "Pd" screen, which is a rarer high-end screen (possibly/maybe adapted from an XK accessory screen?). Wow...

The post-1980 Sr-T serial numbers are ones higher than these:

Sr-T201 >1800000; 101b >4500000; 200 >7560000; 100x >8600000; MCII >9070000; and SCII >9570000. But don't know if late screens from one of these could improve on what you have?

I have two SRT-101s, two X-700s, an SRT-102 and an SRT-201. The microprism focusing aid in the 201 looks finer to me than the ones in my SRT-101s. One is an early black shutter speed dial model and the other is a later chrome shuter speed dial model. The later one has a brighter veiwfnder. The X-700's finder is much brighter than that of any SRT model. Changing the focusing screen in an SRT model will not, by itself, make it nearly as bright as an X-700. One X-700 has a grid screen and the other has a plain matte screen. I have others but I mostly use these. I would say that when you need the extra brightness use an X-700 and when you don't, use an SRT.

J, What is a PD screen???? My SRT screen is brighter than the XE however the XE has a slightly courser microprism with horizontal rangefinder. The SRT screen was replaced by an elderly tech who retired from Minolta. Once in a blue moon, in extreme backlight situations, the modified screen's contrast is lowered (flair??) making me wonder if the tech installed an overlay on the existing screen. At the same time the far edges are slightly blured. 99.9 % of the time the screen is performs perfectly. I wonder what magic the Minolta retired tech did to my camera?

"Pd" screen has 'd'iagonal split-image-'P'rism centerspot. Had to look up some spare XK parts; the XK accessory screens (out of their frames) are slightly larger all-around than Sr-T screens and would guess that their condenser lenses might have slightly different curvatures. And the XK screens have a finer fresnel. Would guess that your magicman might have modified a later XK/XK-Motor 'Pd' screen and maybe included its condenser. Might explain those difficult lighting effects, but 99% perfect is pretty good...

J

You may be correct about the possibility of a Pd screen. When I move my eye and look at the top edge of the viewfinder frame I see a tiny gap. That may be due to a fit issue and cause the rare flair. This setup may be the best one can do but I will contact Maxwell Precision Optics for advice. The magic repairman was V.K. Camera Repair, 87 Dora Ave, Waldwick N.J. 07463, 201-447-5257. The bill in 1999 was $133.00. He is probably retired.

I think the name of the repair man was something like Vilmos Keretzis. When I lived in Bergen County I brought several items to him and he really did nice work. Unfortunately he had a severe stroke and I don't know whether he ever did repairs again or even if he is still living.