SQ-A prism finder

subho basu

Hi Forum members:

One quick question. What types of non metered prism finder are available for

Bronica SQ-A? The metered ones are real bulky and expensive. I use a light

meter and happy with the readings. Is there any model that will give a

laterally correct image? Thanks.

Subho

There is a SQ-Ai Prism Finder S that doesn't get a mention in at least some of the guide books but I know it exists because I have a brand new boxed one bought from Calumet via eBay about a year ago when they were shedding their Bronica bits.

Its an eye level prism offering an upright and laterally correct view. Its a little lighter and smaller than the metered prisms, but it won't get blown off your table!

Thanks to all for sharing the information. Now I got to decide whether I need a prism finder. I am very pleased with WLF. The viewing screen gives kind of a 3D perspective (sense of depth) that I do not find in 35mm viewfinders. I find it bit difficult to handle the WLF only when doing portraits of subjects who are standing and are of my height. Subho

Yes. Do try the WLF and practice, practice, practice and it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't find a need for the prism finder. But if you pick up a speed grip ... then a prism may add quite a bit of functionality to the set up. As far as the non metered prisms go, there is of coarse the 90 deg. prism, but there is also a 45 deg. prism that you may consider.

Regards,

Kelvin

I use the 45 degree prism finder 99% of the time. I have the unmetered prism, the 45 degree prism and the WLF.

The traditional prism is fine if you are shooting at eye level all the time. I tend to want to have the camera a bit lower, so stooping over and using the 45 degree prism works best for me. The WLF is great for use on the tripod but I tend to shoot hand held and shoot quickly.

I usually buy everything Bronica from KEH. Good prices and comfort knowing you can return anything that that has any problems.

I have the Finder S for my SQ-A. It works nicely with the Speed Grip for eye-level work. If I am using the Waist Level finder I prefer the regular crank. The non-metered prisms sell for very little. You can usually get a nice one from KEH at a good price.

The non metered Finder S is sometimes cheaper than the waist level finder. Both seem to be around $100 or so.

The real difficult item to find is the SQA winding crank. I guess people started to use the speed grip and lost the winding crank. I looked for one for two years, even considering buying a broken body just for the crank. Finally found a new one in a camera store for $5. I was delighted.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I use speed grip even with the WLF (sometimes) and honestly do not understand why is it more convenient with a prism finder as has been suggested here. It gives a 35mm feel though with both speed grip and prism finder.And yes, I am keeping my winding crank in a safe place because I know this will be difficult to replace if I loose mine :-)