Spyder 3 and Windows 10

<p>I currently use a Spyder 3 under Windows 7 SP1. I recently received a message from Datacolor stating that support for the Spyder 3 is being discontinued. I also received an upgrade offer to upgrade to Spyder 5 at an advantageous price - about $50 less than the price of a new Spyder 5 at B&H or Adorama.</p>

<p>In a few months, I may decide to upgrade my operating system to Windows 10.</p>

<p>My question for anyone running Windows 10, does the Spyder 3 run under Windows 10? If it does, I'll stay with the Spyder 3; it fills my needs. If not, I'll take advantage of the upgrade offer.</p>

<p>I had the same situation: I had upgraded to Win10 and used my Spyder3 there. It worked, did calibrations etc., but I had the impression that something was wrong. So I contacted Datacolor and in the end I bought a Spyder5 with 30% discount and I even got a lenscal with it. And it gave me much better results. Comparing the two profiles, Spyder3 had cut me a lot of greens compared to sRGB and the Spyder5 profile was much better.<br>

This is what Datacolor wrote in their answer:<br>

"we tested Spyder3 on a few Windows 10 machines, however, depending upon your computer's configuration, the software may run or not run. In order to find this out, you may check it on your computer.<br>

We recommend to upgrade to the new Spyder5 with it’s up to 55% Improvement in Low Luminance Accuracy vs. Spyder4 sensors, the interactive Help, the new industrial design including a lens cap for sensor protection, the enhanced SpyderProof functionality, the multiple monitor support for Spyder5EXPRESS, PRO and ELITE and it’s double shielded filters for higher durability and greater longevity. This gives you the ability to show your clients, friends and family calibrated images anywhere."</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>Spyder3Pro worked for me under Windows 10 x64.<br>

1. Download Spyder3 driver from <a href="http://www.driverscape.com/files/share/a7fae2c4f5cbffe71ac25e2f366a36f9.zip">Driver Scape</a>.<br>

2. Plug in Spyder3 (USB 3.0 port worked for me, USB 2.0 doesn't).<br>

3. Install driver from Windows device manager.<br>

4. Download <a href="http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1461/0/spyder3pro-402-windows">Spyder3Pro 4.0.2</a> for Windows from Datacolor website.<br>

5. Install Spyder3Pro 4.0.2.<br>

6. Run and calibrate.<br>

This works for me.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

Greg</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>Greg, huge thanks for your post. I installed W10 last night only to find a lot of peripherals gone. Followed your recipe and now my (aging) monitor is true to printer colors and color targets. Now, if you or somebody can tell me how to configure a R128-G128-B128 desktop? Windows offers a color swatch but cannot find which one is the true middle gray.</p>

• 3 months later...