Spy camera

gene m

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Kozma, this is my ID, show me your papers!<br /> How did you come to possess these cameras, obviously the property of the Soviet people?<br /> Gene M, you should keep moving, there's nothing to see here... Clearly all you have is a milk carton.</p><div>00SUUc-110293584.jpg.4ce682fd00c71307c4e6111146687302.jpg</div>

<p>Here's an idea for Gene. Can you get a spy camera to look like an apple and leave it out for the deer? Perhaps it can have a remote release triggered by being bitten by the scrounging hoardes. I tried to fit my Yashica A into a cored apple, but it didn't quite fit. Maybe if I painted the bulb release red... ;-)</p>

<p>Ack! Nearly another gulp of coffee exiting through my nose,<br>

Amazing shot of the deer, Tovarish Gene, I've never managed to get that close to one of the deer in the local nature reserve. There's a few of them in a park nearby. Those are rather tame - not quite the same thrill of getting close to one in the wild to steal a pictures.<br>

Image quality is not too bad for a novelty camera in my opinion.</p>

<p>Rick</p>

<p>I used to see ads for this kind of thing in comic books in the 1960s.</p>

<p>I wasn't interested in cameras back then, primarily because I didn't have money for either the spy cameras or for film or for film processing.</p>

<p>If I'd had money I would have gone for the X-ray glasses. These needed no replenishment of supplies. And I had a growing interest in girls. In fact, if I'd had a lot of money, I might have opted for the X-ray glasses and the spy camera, so as to record my amazing observations....</p>

<p>Gene, I like that camera very much! I want one so that I can take it to a municipal area and take pictures of the women there -- thanks for the idea, Kozma!</p>

<p>"that is not a spy camera that is a toy camera. Here we go... collaboration of KGB and Stazy".<br>

Not really. First, the camera shown in your post was a KGB design, I have never heard of any east german contribution to that camera design. Second, there was no east german authority called "Stazy". There was the "ministry for national security" or in german "Ministerium fuer STAaatsSIcherheit", usually referred to as "Stasi" or - more familiar "die Firma" (the company). Everybody in East German knew what it meant if someone said, "he/she is working for THE COMPANY".<br>

The Stasi had several camera designs of their own, one of them was an imitation of the Canon Pellix (with a fixed semi-transparent mirror) based on a Praktica camera. Most of east german spy cameras were based on Praktica or Exa designs, the lenses (they even made autofocus lenses for the infrarot range) were usually made by Carl Zeiss Jena. There have been several features covering east-german spy photo equipment in the german camera collectors' magazine "Photo Deal" over the last few years.</p>