Spring with an Agfa Ambi Silette

Although today was beautiful, and Spring is usually the best season

here in Northern Virginia, Spring was a reluctant visitor this year.

It was 37F one morning just a few days ago, and we've had fog and

rain. The good news is that, due to the cold, we've had blossoms to

photograph for a whole month now. These pictures were taken with the

Agfa Ambi Silette and 50 mm/2.8 Color Solinar lens. This camera is

addictive; wish I had the 35mm lens.

How was Spring in your area?<div>00C7h9-23381184.jpg.848900517417008c30a5743a54e4f1be.jpg</div>

Mike,

The camera is pretty user-friendly. I keep it in the bottom half of its case to make up for the lack of strap lugs. The flip-up viewfinder cover is either closed at the wrong time or open and slightly in the way, but the big, clear viewfinder with 3-position switchable frame lines is more than compensation for this.

I bought mine used for $30 about 30 years ago and it has never been serviced. My shutter speed tester says that all the speeds are uniformly 1/3 stop slow (except for 1/500, which is an honest 1/250). Agfa built them very well.

The Tessar-formula lens is adequately sharp. I wouldn't say it crackled, but certainly is adequate for casual use, better than the reduced-resolution pics I've shown above would show. Thanks for the comments.

Mike,

The camera is pretty user-friendly. I keep it in the bottom half of its case to make up for the lack of strap lugs. The flip-up viewfinder cover is either closed at the wrong time or open and slightly in the way, but the big, clear viewfinder with 3-position switchable frame lines is more than compensation for this.

I bought mine used for $30 about 30 years ago and it has never been serviced. My shutter speed tester says that all the speeds are uniformly 1/3 stop slow (except for 1/500, which is an honest 1/250). Agfa built them very well.

The Tessar-formula lens is adequately sharp. I wouldn't say it crackled, but certainly is adequate for casual use, better than the reduced-resolution pics I've shown above would show. Thanks for the comments.

I got an Ambi Silette last year for ?30 in a London market. It is fitted with the 35mm lens, which I'd say is terrifically sharp. It is easy to use and a really friendly camera, except when rewinding! I liked it enough to buy the 90mm lens the other week.

The only thing I don't like about it is the cheap metal they use for the front plate. Everything else is well made and nicely engineered. Not a Leica, but even in a shop it wouldn't cost much in excess of ?100 and I'd say it maybe one of the best ?30 I ever spent.