Spring training

chris_patti1

I'm going to be attending some spring training games in the Phoenix

area in a few weeks. I figure this might be my best chance to

photograph pro baseball relatively up close (I'm usually a bleachers

kinda guy). I don't, however, have any experience photographing

baseball. Assuming I can get good seats, will I be able to get

decent pictures with a 75-300 mm lens (using a Nikon 70), or do I

need something even longer? Any other advice?

Your lens should be fine, but preferably with your rig mounted on a tripod or monopod with a head that allows you to pan. One of the best vantage points is from the dugout, usually from the far left-hand or right-hand corner to stay out of the way, and where you get situated depends on the team, the manager and local rules for photographers.

If you make the effort, by contacting the P.R. or publicity staff for the team, and if you can justify your reasons for needing that kind of photographic access at a spring training camp, you might just get it. Your intended use of the images you take may influence that decision by a team publicist.

In any event, try not to get yourself nailed down in one position. Keep moving around. Don't just get set up in one area, buy a hot dog and a a box of Cracker Jack and shoot from a single position. If you can, and even if you're restricted to the bleachers, move yourself along the first and third base line to get shots of the infield from different perspectives, chasing the light, so-to-speak. Then of course, move yourself along the sides of the outfield.

One last tip is to anticipate what's going to happen and be ready to capture the players at the height of the movement if it does. Like photographing a ballet. A motor drive or power winder is always handy in these deals, and for those who still use it, use a medium speed ISO film, like Kodachrome 200, Agfa Optima 200 with a slight warming filter. With some planning, your results should be pretty good.

Take it light. Mark