spring to Big Bend N.P. How are the landscape photo opportunities in

Big Bend compared to the other SW U.S. areas? When is the best time in

the spring to catch blooming wildflowers, etc.? If anybody has any

background there, I'd also appreciate any information on campground

availability, hiking opportunities, and general traffic level at this

time. Thanks for any input!

Andy

Andy

Like any desert area the wildflowers depend on rain fall and when it came, but I have spent a couple of great sunrises photographing the dry desert mountains along the Rio Grande. But be careful, I was once in the park in March, and it had must have been spring break because I couldn't get a camping space in the park I had to go back to Alpine Texas to spend the night. I hope this helped.

Spring is a varied time in Big Bend. I have been there in March and seen snow and then I have also seen 90 degrees. You just never know. The flowers will be going by late Feb in the lowlands and work up through elevation. March is a very crowded time in the park due to Spring Break and limited campsites. I always end up at Boquillas since that is overflow camping. Castalon and the Basin have very limited sites and if you are not there as someone leaves-then forget it. Often there are signs up saying that the park is full, even up in Alpine.

Boquillas overflow will be crowded into a field, but there is a store, and showers there.

Have a good spare and fix a flat, if you hit a mesquite thorn, you will ahve a flat anf the nearest town in 100 miles away. Also watch your gas level, since it is limited in the park.

Places to get great picks include the Grapvine Hills (short hike-best at dawn); the south rim (overnight backpack); east rim (overnight backpack-awesome sunrise place). All 3 major canyons are good Boqillas-afternoons; Mariscal, and Santa Elena (mornings). Also hike down to the Window from the basin and watch the sunset-awesome!

Visit a Spring; losts of greenery and birds. I always liked Mule Ears Spring, but there are alot out there.

Take a good fullbrim hat-sun is powerful even in Feb-Mar. Expect snow and take shorts and swimtrunks for the Hot Springs near Boqullias.

Have fun!

Good advice above. If you have a high clearance vehicle (2WD

pick up truck on up to a heavy 4WD) I strongly recommend the

many primitive campsites. I have camped out at Glen Springs,

Ernst Tinaja, Juniper Canyon, Pine Canyon and near Black Gap.

These permited sites have no facilities other than a gravel pad

but the experience is quite fantastic. There have been reports of

trouble along the River Road (closest to Mexico) but I rather

believe that this is over-rated. However, when I was there in

1994 there was a murder in Pine Canyon but this was apparently

motivated by something other than cross-border opportunism.

The real advantage of primitive camping is that you can set out

on a hiking trail real early and do so much more in the day.

Highlights: sunsets from Ernst Tinaja (with the Chisos on the

horizon), alpenglow on the aptly named Sierra de Carmen, the

many springs, Ocotillo in bloom. In summary, one of the best

places on God's Earth!

Andrew:

I have been there twice once in summer (4th of July holiday) and once in winter (Thanksgiving. In summer camp sites and hotel rooms were available but Thanksgiving day everything was full (had to sleep in my van) although the day after that there was vacancy in most places. During hikes be careful about rattle snakes; saw two at close quarters.

Be sure to take a good 4 wheel drive (I could manage with my non-4 wheel van becuase it was very dry everywhere). Keep your gas tank full.

Anuj