Spring forward!

<p>Dang.<br>

I'm sort of peeved that many of my other devices figured this out, as machines should, on their own, but I did have to go and human-hand set my digital cameras.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"HAL, Reset all the clocks to DST, please."<br>

"JDM, I'm sorry but I can't do that. I think you know why."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have several non-digital clocks in my house and I love going around and moving the "big hand" one turn "clockwise" and watching the effect it has on the "little hand" as it advances an hour into Daylight Savings Time. An analog ritual of the best sort I get to perform in either direction twice a year. Most important is that I get another hour at the end of the day to enjoy the warm and sunny if regrettable and unfortunate California drought weather and, for now at least, another hour in the early morning to work on photos in the quiet stillness of darkness. I never even thought of changing the time on my camera, as an hour within range is close enough for my own photographic and cataloging purposes. :-)</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I generally like Daylight Savings Time, but yes, William, you're right: living almost anywhere in Arizona does spare one from the chore of resetting all the gadgets!</p>

<p>(As long as one remains in Arizona. One step across the state line, however, and...)</p>

<p>And you also need to remember that a very large territory partly located inside the Arizona Border -- the Navaho Nation -- DOES observe DST, so there's no escaping it, unless you stay in the Tea Party national limits.</p>

My Nikon D3000 automatically reset the time with "Daylight Savings Time" option set to ON.

For a state like Arizona it must be a nuisance to watch national TV shows that are on at 8 o'clock part of the year and then are on at 9 o'clock at other times of the year. If a show is announced to be on at 8 o'clock mountain time, Arizonians have to calculate what time that would be in their state at what time of year. I think I would rather change the clock and be done with it.

James G. Dainis

<p>Just to make it more interesting, JDM, the Hopi Nation, which lies entirely within the Navajo Nation, does not observe DST. However, there is an island of Navajo territory, called Jeddito, which is inside the Hopi rez. In Jeddito they do observe daylight time. Arizona Route 264 goes through all of this, so you can keep pretty busy adjusting the dashboard clock.</p>

<p>Jim, I was just mentioning that factlet to my daughter.<br>

I made a trip out there a couple of years ago and (being retired) didn't much care one way or the other. The only draw-back is that you can end up later in trying to find a room than you really intended.</p>

<p>I listen a lot to the Hopi radio KUYI (streaming on the internet: http://www.kuyi.net/listen-online ) and announcements for events cutting across tribal and national lines can get complex during DST.<br>

Most eclectic radio station I've ever found, not excepting a local odd-ball station here in my town.</p>

<p>My desktop copy of Lightroom is still set to 2013 for my copyright meta data. I suppose I should update that one of these years. But at the moment I'm exhausted from watching my atomic clock plotting with WWV in Colorado to steal an hour of sleep from my Sunday. Damn you, dumblight stealing time.</p>

<p>A long time ago in the early 70's I heard of an old timer in Wyoming who set his watch 30 minutes in between and kept it there. His reasoning was hard to argue with. He said in winter it's good to travel early in case of snow and ice covered roads, car trouble, etc. In summer he said people are easy going and won't care much if you're a little late to a lunch, dinner, or the barber shop. That was generally what he said. I wish I could live in those circumstances. </p>

<p>David, my Native American friends call that Inden Time. That included one of my newspaper editors and an administrative assistant for the federal government agency I used to work for. She was on flex time long before it was officially adopted, and was such a hard worker when she was on the job that her supervisor just shrugged it off. Being only 1/8 or so Native American, I was neither eligible for unofficial flex time nor to publicly refer to it as Inden Time. But I observe it as a custom out of respect for the fraction of my ancestors who gave their lives to remind us of what physicists eventually confirmed - that time is indeed relative. But only if you have the right relatives.</p>

<p>I do mostly landscape shooting, so clock time doesn't really matter and I don't bother resetting the camera clocks for DST/ST changes. As for the rest of it:</p>

<p>Fred G., my feeling about setting analog clocks is exactly the opposite of yours. It's a royal PIA.</p>

<p>Noreen, it depends on which state you step into. In AZ, you're on the same time as California, so just go there. ;-)</p>

<p>JDM, you're right about the Navajo Nation, of course, although I suspect that if the rez didn't cover parts of Utah and New Mexico as well, they might have followed the Arizona plan. You're also right about knowing, when you're there, that clocks don't matter, just the magic of the land.</p>

<p>Jim, I think the Hopi rejection of DST and Jeddito's (all 6 square miles of it) adoption of it are symbols of tribal competiveness more than anything else. I had a conversation with a Navajo in Willcox a few years back, and he commented that the relationship between the Navajo and the Hopi was somewhat like the one between the Israelis and Palestinians, except that they haven't figured out which was which.</p>

<p>James, when we lived in Williams, AZ, our satellite TV service was synched to Phoenix, so all program times matched the schedules. Now, however, we live about 20 miles west of the Eastern Time Zone, and our satellite service is synched to Knoxville, so all the program schedule times are an hour off. Like I said, just one of many reasons we're hoping to move back to AZ soon...</p>

<p>Anyway, if you guys think dealing with DST is fun, try navigating a ship westward across the Pacific and having to reset the ship's clocks back one hour every day. Then, when you cross longitude 180 (International Date Line), go forward 24 hours. (We used to have a lot of fun with the new Quartermaster trainees with that one - think about it... :-))</p>

If Friday the 13th falls in the month of February, which has 28 days, Friday the 13th will also fall in March. Back in my seafaring days we had a period when we had three Friday the 13ths in two months. We crossed the international dateline on Friday, Feb 13th, retarded one day to Friday, Feb 13th, again and then in March had another Friday the 13th. Subsequent disastrous events that occurred on that ship proved that that was not such a good idea.
James G. Dainis

<p>Your 'spring forward ' is my 'fall back' and my 'spring forward' is your 'fall back' :)<br>

My son who has crossed the IDL at least twenty or thirty times forgot last time and I had to break the news he wasn't going to arrive for a freinds birthday party on friday, arriving Saturday as they cleaned up :)</p>