my pictures. It appears in the exact same spot and is an irregular

shape of several pixels. Doesn't matter what lens I use, or which

resolution setting I select.

The process for cleaning the CCD described in the manual doesn't

look all that easy. Any suggestions on what this could be before I

decide to send it back to Nikon?

Any thoughts?

From your description, it is almost certainly a dust spot. Try the easier

solutions first.... ie buy a sqeeze bulb type of blower, set the camera on 'bulb'

shutter speed and aggressively blow at the CCD while holding down the

shutter release. Some spots are extremely stubborn and I did see

improvements when I broke down and purchased the Nikon external power

attachment which allows the 'shutter up' setting to be engaged on my D1X.

The dust doesn't seem to stick as much and you get more time to fool around

with the blower.

It's not easy to clean, mine had a small hair after a couple of days, I tried the blower buld option but couldn't budge it so I took it to Maxwells (the Aust distributor) they took it out the back and remooved it straight away and I haven't had a problem since.

Now needless to say I'm very very carefull when changing a lens, pointed down, inside etc. BE CAREFULL NOT TO TOUCH THE CCD!!!!!! the lady from maxwells told me that a CCD for a D1X is arouind $6K here so don't risk it unless there is no other option.

Apart from that one problem I'm happy with the purchase.

Good luck

Mark

$6,000 or $600??? just curious, I have a D1x, and the entire camera is only $4,200... so I doubt the CCD is more than the camera. or are you talking different (other country) dollars?

As for cleaning, Nikon will clean the CCD for about $25 at any authorized service center. And the recomend AGAINST ever touching/cleaning the CCD. But as many or most will point out, that would be time and cost prohibitive to never clean your own CCD. As for touching the CCD, DONT EVEN THINK about sticking stuff in there without the proper information. The shuter curtain is far more delicate than the CCD... which technically you can't actually touch for the low pass filter in front of it. Which is not that fragile (don't push it though... I'm sure it's not $6K, but it's probalby more than an evening at the movies)

just my thoughts... Cheers! good luck.

I meant don't stick anything in there while it's on the bulb setting. if you accidentally let go, you're going to ruin the shutter curtain... and might scratch the low pass filter. and the guy that got the external power supply is right to have done so. While the CCD is on it has a charge and will attract dust. The shutter lock up that's only available with the external power supply doesn't turn on the CCD, so no static charge, no attracting dust.