Sports kit - football (soccer)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lucas_luz, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Hi there,
    I've been searching and reading for weeks but I still can't decide which kit should I get.
    I'll start shooting professional football but with my current kit (5D III + Primes) thats not really possible.
    What I can't decide between is a 1D3 or 7D and 70-200mm 2.8 + 1.4x or 300mm f4 IS.
    7D and 1D3 are between $850-1100. A 70-200mm 2.8 and a 300mm f/4 IS are also between 1000-1500.
    Thank you!

2. I shoot Nikon so I cannot comment on the models. It would help to know are you shooting from the sidelines or the stands, and is this for daytime or night use, or both.
    Based on the little you've told us, the 70-200 + 1.4x gives you the most flexibility both in terms of range and light. The 300 has a nice reach but if this is your only high quality lens, it may be too limiting for your needs.
    Also make sure that you use a monopod as that will give you an extra f/stop. You can pick up a half-decent monopod and head for about $100.

3. Hi barry,
    I'll be shooting from the sidelines, both day and night (weekend games are in the afternoon).
    I do have a monopod, but only with a flat head (plate, w/e it is called), no ballhead or anything.
    I'm also worried about the AF speed loss with the 1.4x during the night.

4. Hi Barry:
    I have the equipment you mentioned. If you can afford it get a 300mm F/2.8 and a 1.4 tele-extender and the 1D MK III or IV. The300 f/2,8 lens is way ahead of anything out there other than a 400 F/2.8. The 1D MK IV is significantly better than the MK III, in ISO and image size. I carry a monopod, but usually it just gets in the way. So I got pistol grip instead, works great.