sports blurry

art_kramer

taking pictures of a marching band at night. they are lit up quite

well but the pics are blurry. i'm using a D70, do i need a real fast

lens? a flash???? i was shooting a 3.5 lens. i went up to 1600 speed

and they were still pretty blurry.I'm quite far away for a flash.I

guess a 1.8 isn't fast enough when its dark out. they have stadium

lights on.

Art, need more detailed info... That said. I've photographed several homecoming games in the last month or so from the sidelines. My coverage includes action,candids,HC court,band, cheer, drill team etc.. I shoot with D70, S2,. My lenses are 80-200 2.8 , 37-70 2.8, 18-70 3.5 -4.5 . Flash "if" used is SB-28 on S2 / SB-600 on D70. At ISO 800-1600 I usually get meter readings of 1/250 @ 2.8 -4 for action. 1/125-1/60 @ 5.6 - 8 for close-up candids. When using flash I try to bring exposure values within 1-2 stops to retain ambient mood . Hope this helps ... watch out for the big guys busting through the sidelines ! Mark<div>009oeG-20075884.jpg.6c4f3f191d548d64db1c637707f724e2.jpg</div>

I shot some shots of band performances the other night, using 1600 speed Fuji with my 500mm f/8 lens. Shots I took after dark were blurry, as speed dropped down to 1/60 or so, and tripod wasn't sturdy enough. Shots I took before darkness set in, at 1/250 or so, came out great. Solution: Better tripod, faster lens, shoot when there's more light. (If the pictures are blurry because people are moving in them, then better tripod won't help.)

i had the lens wide open. the lights looked bright enough, but the camera didn't see it that way. i dumped the pics at the show so i don't have any. i couldn't get over 1/40 of a sec. not close enough for flash either. no tripod, too hard to pan with it attached so i left it home.