spiratone?

brad_hersch

I've many fond memories of visiting there store in New York while there, and always looked forward to their ads in Modern Photography and Popular Photography magazines. I still have a 1976 "Bicentennial Catalog". Up until I stopped shooting with a Hasselblad 5 or 6 years ago I always tried to get a shot of the entire church interior from the front of the balcony using their fish-eye conversion lens on the 80mm during the ceremony. They marketed stainless steel developing tanks and reels that were about half the price of Nikor or Kinderman, all kinds of neat darkroom goodies, inexpensive but decent B&W enlarger paper ($4.88 for 100 sheets of single weight 8x10), under $40 400mm lenses, some of the first zooms for 35mm SLR's, slide duplicating equipment, and it seemed like every month was some new thing you just couldn't live without! The best thing about them was they didn't try to get rich on inflated "Shipping Charges"~an item would say the price, like $2.98, followed by shipping $.35. Yeah, a lot of us miss Spiratone!

Now thats a name I havent heard in a long time...Used to have one of their 200mm lenses. Dropped it down a flight of concrete steps at a rock concert in 1973. It wobbled on its mount and still took great pictures for years afterwards, until someone stole my camera bag. Always wanted one of their affordable 85mm lenses. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

In 1971 or '72 I photographed my first wedding with a TLR (Rolleicord or Yashicamat, can't remember which) and M3 flash bulbs. For my second wedding I had a brand new Spiralite Jr. electronic flash unit which ran on AC current. No kidding -- I went around with an extension cord, plugging in my flash so I could shoot. Sometime after that, I got their Spiralite power pack -- a leather case which could be mounted on one's belt or slung over one's shoulder. It provided fast recycling and a fair number of flashes per battery set, but the batteries were neither cheap, rechargeable, nor easily obtainable.

In 1959 I was a high school senior and was in NYC for a big journalism conference. We stayed at the Taft? hotel which was mid town. Hussled down to Spiritone and bought a Watson Bulk film loader (model 66 a real work of art that I still have) and 100 ft of Tri-X which might have been cut down from a larger roll, cheap stuff and pretty good. When I had my own photo buisness in the seventies I know I bought a bunch of there 35mm & 120 stainless reels. Really cheap and worked fine.I still have most of them in the basement. I'm pretty sure I got a few other "oddball" things from them over time. It was a great place.

• 1 month later...
Coincidentally, I've just obtained a Spiratone Bellowscope in nearly new condition. Unfortunately, the t adapters were not included. I don't see any for sale on the bay and the spiratone adapters don't seem to be the same as those used on lenses, etc. Does anyone have any compatib;e adapters they don't need or know where they could be obtained? FD, m42 or kmount would work for me. I miss Spiratone too. They seemed to have a gadget for almost anything! Lots of things in their catalog that you didn't know you needed until you saw it.

• 8 months later...