Spiratone Minitel-M 500mm f/8 vs. Quantaray 500mm f/8 Mirror -some images

JDMvW

<p><strong>Images from</strong><br /> <strong>Spiratone Minitel-M 500mm f/8 </strong><br /> <strong>Quantaray 500mm f/8 Mirror<br /></strong><br /> <em>Background</em><br /> <br />In another post recently ( http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00c1BM ), I had presented a Spiratone Mintel-M 500mm. I think this was the last incarnation of the rather long series of Spiratone mirror lenses starting with their import of a variety of the Soviet MTO 500mm Matsukov lens ( http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00bVwA ). <br /><br />Now, the Spiratone Minitel-M looks almost identical to the still-available new lenses from Korea variously sold as Quantaray and other import names -- I think Vivitar, Bower, Opteka, and Samyang are essentially the same lens. These sell new for USD 85-140 or so.<br /><br />The Spiratone Mintel-M is sold for about the same prices as the new ones.<br /><br /><em>So which should you get?</em> <br /><br />I thought it would be instructive to present a side-by-side comparison of the two. I posted a few days ago on another example of the Spiratone lens than the one used here and Gene M wanted to see images at ISO 200 of my infamous water tower test image. <br /><br />These are shot on a Canon EOS 5D Mark II body on a very solid tripod with a remote release, although I did not lock up the mirror. This is a test of how most people would use these lenses, after all. I did focus bracketing on these and chose the sharpest, so far as I could tell, although objectively there was little difference from one image to the next. I had lot of practice with manual focus years ago and haven't entirely lost the touch. The tripod head was a Manfrotto 393 'gimbal' head.<br /><br /><br />Here is the Spiratone Minitel-M showing the full sized image:</p><div>00c1nS-542751984.jpg.06a3d10a4b0b0b469b51c9e224447977.jpg</div>

<p>The Quantaray is maybe not quite so bad as I had remembered, but it is clearly inferior to the Spiratone Minitel-M. I have to admit that, while the Spiratone is usable, it is maybe not so good as its superiority, long ago, to the Quantaray had made me think.<br /><br />At less than half the price of a decent Reflex-Nikkor or Sigma mirror lens, the Spiratone is workable if your interest in mirror lenses does not go so deep as mine. It's fun, light, and-if you're shooting hand-held-a good value.<br /><br />I would avoid the Korean made lenses (I admit my sample size = 1) since you can do better for the same money if you're not afraid of eBay. None of the Spiratone versions seem to be at the stores that sell used gear - too plebian, I suppose, but the Reflex-Nikkors are offered.</p>

<p>Sorry to rush ahead, and I still want to see Peter Doucette's water tower.</p>

<p>Can't get enough towers in, nosiree. ;)</p>

<p>FINIS</p>

<p>I had the same experience with one of the Korean 500mm mirrors lenses. Mine was not usable as a camera lens. The proverbial 'Coke-bottle' lens. And I am not exaggerating. If you want a sharp, compact, not too expensive mirror lens - I had good luck with the now-discontinued Tokina. It still turns up regularly at KEH and the well known auction site.</p>

<p>I had a 500mm Vivtar mirror a few years back & it was the worst lens that I have ever owned. I never got a decent picture with it, even with a tripod. I got rid of it for a Tamron 500mm F8 SP Mirror.<br>

The subject of mirror lenses cropped up on a UK forum that I am a member of & I shot some test images with primes, primes with a teleconverter & finally one with the Tamron mirror.<br>

Here is the thread if you want to look at the images to see how the Tamron performs.<br>

<a href="http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=497088">http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=497088</a><br>

No way would I suggest to anyone to buy a cheap mirror lens without testing it first. I have been very happy with the Tamron.</p>

<p>Interesting comparisons, <strong>JDM</strong>. I'd have to agree that neither lens is very exciting, despite the water tower... I don't have much use for very long lenses, not being into wildlife or sports photography, but I'm more interested in the way a long lens can isolate a subject and set up an interesting background. A 500mm mirror lens is really very usable with today's gear; minutes ago I ducked outside into the never-ending spring gale with the old 500mm Matsukov strapped onto a Canon 5D, wound the ISO up to 1000 and shot some pics handheld at 1/250th. Lots of movement, but here's one sample I quite liked.</p><div>00c1pw-542759684.jpg.ae9832c64141f12b4b50169d8b1ee106.jpg</div>

<p>I had the chance to try out the 500mm f8 Reflex Rokkor when a Minolta sales rep visited the family camera shop back in the late 1970's. I got to try lenses from the 8mm fisheye up to the 500mm, all on my Minolta SRT 201. He didn't have the 800mm or 1600mm Rokkors with him. As I recall the 500 delivered sharp images with minimal light fall-off. Maybe I can find the negatives somewhere.</p>

• 5 years later...