Speedlite Or Other

jacqui valdivia

Question first: What flash would not only be compatible but also be the best

purchase for me given my current and possible future equipment?

Background

I am rather new to photography but am hoping to eventually make it a career.

I have a Canon Rebel XT. (Hoping to upgrade soon to 5D) I am have been doing

research but have not found any information regarding what flashes other than

canon might work for my camera. Are all flashes compatible?

Also I am on a limited budget and do not want to spend too much but because I am

hoping to progress I do not want to buy something that will be useless to me a

short amount of time just to save money. I could spend the money on a Speedlite

580 ex, but one I do not want to jump the gun on my experience or money

invested, but I would like something that I can grow with. As professionals

(YOU) what advice would you give me in buying a flash.

Thank you for your help!

PS I looked through the previous posts and could not find exactly an answer to

my question, so if this is redundant, please forgive me.

As far as flash compatibility goes, you have dedicated units that work with specific bodies (full automation) non-dedicated units that work with pretty much any camera (no automation).

If you want to use the automation, the Canon flashes are the best bet as they are more or less "plug and play" with compatible bodies. While they are easy to use, they may be difficult to control and expanding the system can be complicated, costly, and sometimes unreliable.

If you are willing to do without the automation, you can use anything from a $5 garage sale flash to a full blown studio system. Non-dedicated flashes can be a bit more difficult to use for the beginner, but with practice it gets to be nearly effortless. You can expand the system infinitely and some units can be had for little money. Many non-dedicated flashes tend to be quite reliable and provide consistent exposures.

In summary, if you want full automation, get a Canon flash (580EX is current top of the line model and a good bet if budget allows). If you can do without full automation and are willing to think a bit, a Sunpak 383, Vivitar 285, Nikon SB-24 (I know, it's a dedicated Nikon flash but the auto/manual modes work just fine on Canon EOS bodies), or Metz 45 (handle mount flash that's bigger and heavier than the others but not much more expensive and very powerful) will serve you well, have similar or more power than the 580EX, and are a fraction of the cost of Canon units.

Have you looked at the 430EX also? Still a very good flash. Does bounce and swivel. Has manual control. Can be used later with either an ST-E2, off camera cord or slaved to a 580 on camera. Not the cheapest route but a good all around flash with a good build to it. Bounced flash will take your pictures to a new level.

You might also want to skip this level and jump for something like an AlienBee 400 or 800 studio light or two. Take a read on the strobist web site also for cheap alternatives to what you want to do.