Speedlite 244T compatible with the Canon AE-1 Program?

junlieww

Just gotten the 244T flash and was wondering if it's compatible with the Canon AE-1 Program. Plus, will there be any problems if I were to use a 200 ISO Film while using the 244T? Cause it only has 100/400 ISO as it's setting for the 244T.

The flash "made" for the Canon AE-1 Program was the Speedlite 188A. The AE-1P manual (available from Butkus on line) has the instructions.

It's usually easiest to use what was originally designed for a particular model. In this case, one on eBay is around $11-12.

The Speedlite 244T was designed for T-series cameras but IMHO is compatible with A-series cameras including the AE-1 Program.

I have no hard evidence for that claim but a number of indications:

• Both, the "sister models" Speedlite 277T and Speedlite 299T can - according to their user manuals - also be used with New F-1 and A-series cameras.
  • Obviously, the physical hotshoe contact layout of A-series and T-series flash units is the same.
  • According to service manuals the T50 and the AE-1 Program use the same reference voltage (VC) of 1.3V. With A-series cameras certain relative deviations from VC (+/- VC/16 per stop) are used for the flash setting the aperture value in the camera (not sure about T-series, though). Resistances/currents for flash ready (CCC contact) are the same.
  • Last but not least: Just mounted a 244T to a AE-1 Program and flash ready is recognized, proper aperture values are set, flash fires and nothing burst into flames.

Regarding ISO 200 films the 244T user manual says:

Use only ISO/ASA 100 or 400 film with this flash. Other films cannot be used.

Depending on the speed setting the images may come out over exposed or under exposed by one stop. This still may get you usable results but I'd avoid ISO 200 film.

Nearly any electronic flash (barring problems with trigger voltage and such) can be used manually (guide numbers and such like). It's the closeness to so-called "automatic" function that makes the difference.

Most camera makers who also produce their own flashes make it such that they are backward compatible. And Canon is one of those camera makers. Cmuseum, the fact that your 244T recognized your AE-1 to the extent it did proves this.

BTW, back when I was almost a total neophyte at photography, I bought a Canon 188A flash for my then new A-1 cuz that was one of the flashes recommended. I believe the 199A was recommended as well, but it was more than my budget would allow at the time. I quickly discovered that the 188A was good only for when the camera was in one of its AE modes. It was worthless for manual photography.