Speed of Nikon Capture NX

sergio_ortega7

The Capture NX that came with my D300 seems really slow and balky...Mac Powerbook G4, 2G RAM,

APCS version I. Searching the previous posts here on this subject I read about some kind of "fix"

coming from Nikon to address these issues. I still have not sorted out all the details and hardware

requirements for using NX efficiently, but I'm wondering if there have been any "fixes" or updates

released, or other helpful information made available, to help speed up this thing up a bit?

I find NX so slow it's not useable. When you save the modifications to the NEF file it saves a full size high quality JPG for the thumbnail that increases file size considerably and you have not way to turn this off. It uses the in camera settings, but it's speed makes it not useful. I use Photoshop CS3 RAW converter and speed is great.

I'm running XP with a 2.2 GHz chip and 1 GB RAM and a lot of free space and Capture NX runs reasonably fast. The only slow I have is when I am downloading 35 raw images from my SD card to the hard drive. That could take up to 15 minutes. Time for a coffee break. I am still using the trial version and am getting the full version as a gift for Xmas. Perhaps the full version will run slow as at that point I will be a customer, not a prospect.

Meryy Christmas!

Thank you all for the many responses and helpful advice.

Let's see....If I understand the capabilities of the various versions of Photoshop CS...the

original, the second and third versions...APCS III is the only one of the three that will work

with the downloadable Adobe NEF (RAW) processor specifically designed for the D300,

right? I've been told versions I and II will not work with this new Adobe D300 NEF

processor. In that case, if I wanted to process the NEF files using photoshop, and not the

free and slow Capture NX that came with the D300, I'd have to upgrade to CS III. Correct

me if I'm wrong about this.

I was also thinking of upgrading my computer to a newer, more powerful Mac desktop,

which are now coming with the latest Mac OS (Leopard, is it?). Did I also read somewhere

that there are some problems when running Capture NX (or PS CS III with the Adobe NEF

processor for the D300) using the latest Mac OS?

My mind is reeling. I'm getting burned out with all this stuff. I'm missing working with the

NEF RAW files from my D70 and the original APCS I.

Thanks again.

Capture NX does not work with the current version of Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard, D300 NEF Raw files. It will work with jpegs and other camera Raw files but for some reason Capture 1.3 will not process D300 Raw files. And Yes it is far slower than older versions, I'm running a current Macbook Pro with 4gb of ram and a 160gb hard drive that's not even half full and it takes me 4-5 times longer to edit jpegs in Capture then jpeg or raw in CS3.

I love Capture but it needs a fix and fast... or they're going to lose some serious future business!