Speed Graphic and 90mm lens

radu_diaconu

I use a 90mm f:6.8 Angulon, because the 90mm f:8 Super-Angulon is too big to allow the camera to close with the lens mounted. The plain angulon also fits nicely in the small iris lensmount I've put on one of the lensboards, allowing quick changes between a lot of weird old lenses (most without shutters). My only other 90mm alternative is the 15 and 25cm combination of a VadeMecum casket set...

I use a vintage 90mm Optar, primarily because that is the lens which came with my Super Speed Graphic from the Washington DC pawnshop. The markings on the frame makes me think that it was government surplus from the old U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. While this is a good old lens for typical wide-angle applications such as architecture and landscape, it leaves a lot to be desired for the marco/still-life work that I do. Focusing on anything under 25 feet becomes tricky with narrow DOF even with the aperture stopped down. Look at the 4x5 shots in my gallery and you will see what I mean. However; I try to work around those limitations as much as possible