Speed Graphic 4x5

radu_diaconu

Hi,

I've just received a 4x5 speed graphic but the button on the side of the camera

to release the bed is missing, I can see a bit inside the hole.

Is there a way to open the front without forcing it?

Please, any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Radu D.

If the speeds are off but the thing is otherwise OK, you don't need a repair, but instead a clean, lube and adjust - far cheaper and easier. Never tangled with my own SG ao I can't offer any real advice, but when I bought it I did take a set of shots (using a roll film holder for ease and economy)and I now know that on my camera, an Anniversary SG, I have to increase the spring tension by one compared to what the table says (approx) Of course the top set of speeds are unavailable, but it saved me interfering with a working camera.

Nick

Radu, <br>

The first thing to do is to go to www.southbristolviews.com/ and click on Graflex manuals in the left plane then download the pdf file Pacemaker Service manual.<br>

The only difference between a side rangefinder and Top rangefinder pacemaker is the rangefinder, all other aspects of the cameras are the same.<br>

Now read thru the "servicing the focal palne shutter" section and decide if you want to try to clean it. Normally taking the cover plate off and lubing the ends of the curtain rollers is all that is needed to get the speed correct but reinstalling the outer cover requires resetting the gearing that puts the correct speed in the window and can be a little tricky. The other end of the curtain rollers can be lubed without any disassembly.<br>

The TEST for correct operation of a Focal Plane Shutter is with curtain at "O", governor at High (lever to rear of camera), trip shutter; it should fully close and just latch with top edge of "O" slot 1/4 inch below film gate opening. If shutter does not latch then clean and lube and retest. <br>

Charles

hi radu

i have serviced the focal plane shutter on both a speed graphic (pacemake) and a graflex

series d. it is kind of tricky and if you aren't careful, you will get very frustrated.

little square washers, tiny screws, nuts and cutain positioning makes it a tedious job.

do you have a roll film back? i ask because if you install a 6x6 roll film back, and remove

the film rolls ( so it is just a 6x6 opening) - you can bring the camera to someone to have

the shutter tested. they can put a "jig" on the camera that is used for a medium format

camera and test the FP shutter. it may turn out that the speeds it is currently running

with will be OK and you won't have to adjust anything ...

good luck!

john