Speculation: TL3 and CL2 to be announced this year

Karim Ghantous

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect that Leica will announce or release the TL3 and CL2 later this year. The original T was released in 2014, followed by the TL2 in 2017. The original CL was also released in 2017. That's a gap of three years between upgrades. So, based on that pattern, we can expect the new versions in 2020.

A lot has happened since the current models have been released so it will be interesting to see what Leica decides to do. Both cameras deliver 4K video at 30fps, although literally nobody would buy these cameras for video. The bar has been raised, so anything less that 4K 10-bit at 60fps is not going to cut it - if you even care.

Resolution will probably remain at 24Mpx, with improved high ISO performance. Higher frame rates are almost certain, although both the current models have different specs for both mechanical and electronic shutters. I expect PDAF in at least one of them - probably the CL2. Maybe we'll see a Bayer-cancelling pixel shift mode, too, if not a high-res mode. Perhaps we'll see dual ISO as well.

I have no doubt that the lenses are amazing, but I think fans of these cameras want to see a bit more choice. I expect to see a 100-300/4 and a few f/2 primes.