Special Perk at Portrait Shoot

todd frederick

This morning I photographed a family who is personal friends at no cost. The

mom wanted to give me something so she asked if I wanted an old camera her

late husband bought many years ago. Hum, thought it might be a Brownie!

Well, it wasn't a Leica, but it turned out to be a truly mint Konica IIIA

rangefinder(Hexanon 50mm f/1.8) and an equally perfect Gossen cds Super Pilot

meter plus all the accessories. This camera I will use, soon!

Has anyone used a Konica IIIA? I would appreciate any thoughts about it or

photo samples.

I have one and like it. It has a sharp lens, although mine does not have great contrast, might be just my lens. The winding lever is interesting , as you pump it up and down to advance the film and cock the shutter. Rangefinder is OK , and the viewfinder is brighter that the Konica III. Its built like a tank,and would make a great weapon if it was ever required to be so.Mine could use a CLA, as the slow speeds have a tendency to stop half way though the exposure. The ergonomics of the shutter advance are good,after some practice.I would say this lady gave you a great gift , worth around $80.00.

Haven't used it, but I've read very good things -- either from the folks <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1903>over here</a> or perhaps <a href=http://rangefinderforum.com/>over here</a>.<p>

Possibly I've read good things about that camera in both places ? <p>

As a general matter, I believe the good Konica lenses, and there are a number of them, take a back seat to nobody. And I mean nobody ! :-)<p>

Enjoy the camera.

Michael,

Thanks for the link. For years I've been seriously into vintage cameras of all kinds.

A bit of resarch:

The camera was made between 1958 and 1961.

The USA model has a 50mm f/1.8 six element coated lens based on the Zeiss Planar design.

The USA model has an easily reparable Seikosha MXL Shutter B to 1/500.

The film advance and the shutter cocking is by a double stroke lever on the front of the camera body. Very unusual but it is not an eyesore. It was made for easy use by left handed photographers. It is also easy to use.

The size is about that of a Leica M2. I just measured!

The price in 1958 was $129.00, with a 2001 equivalent USD of about $680.00

One was sold on eBay recently for $212.00.

This will be a truly fine camera to use.

I hope some will have a few photos to show.

I have it's predecessor, now called the Konica I (fixed lens but excellent). It was my first camera in high school. It was a great yearbook camera as it's the quietest camera I own (including my Leicas). And the lens is really sharp. Too bad lenses weren't changeable, but you can't have everything.

I think the IIIA with meter is somewhat problematic if what I have heard is true, but the rest of hte Konica rangefinders were pretty solid.

David, if you're reading this, this Konica IIIA, export model, I have is fully manual. There is no meter attached to or in the camera. It is one of the most solidly built cameras I have ever used, on a par the Leica in construction, IMO. Everything on this is totally Mint and in perfect condition. I use a hand meter, and that works great. I often just guess. B/W only with these.

I've only had this one day, but will take some photos of the camera and post a snap from the camera later on.

Since this is now the Leica and Rangefinder Forum, I'm guessing that's Ok!